Guys, I've figured something out!

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I just had an idea... lemme know if it's any good or not.

I'm new to this hobby. I ordered my lathe, but I haven't received it yet. Hopefully I'll have it by Tuesday, so I dunno if this has been tried before or not.

I"ve been watching a ton of lathe how-to videos on Youtube and there's one recurring theme about safety. Never leave the chuck key on the chuck. The plastic guard is a good idea.. preventing the operation of the machine if the key is still on the chuck.

My idea is.. why not install a key switch on the machine with the switch key machined/welded on the chuck key? Put a key switch on the machine that you can't pull out while the lathe is in operation.

Wire the main hot wire coming into the key switch, then the outgoing wire to wherever the original hot wire goes to.

Install the key switch to where it's not in the way. Sorry for the poor photoshopping skills.

The power to the machine will not operate without the key in the switch and there will be no power to the machine if the chuck key isn't inside the switch.

9krBuEZ.jpg

LbBGj2d.jpg

Thats a great fix. I made the mistake of leaving the key in the chuck early on...not something I would suggest. It's also one of those things that once done, left a lasting impression on me. I've caught myself removing them from other peoples machines when I see them left on their chuck.

For sure that will work. There have been similar solutions over the years. Some are to make a holder with a microswitch such that the switch won't be closed unless the chuck key is placed into the holder.

My friends Craftex lathe has a spring loaded key that you have to press down into the chuck to engage and turn overcoming a spring return. Release pressure on the key and it pops out of the chuck.

David

Learn good work habits and its a non issue. I have a holder on my lathes for the chuck key and when ever I use it . Back in the holder it goes.
Been useing lathes for over 40 years and have never thrown a chuck key

As other have mentioned good habits go a long way.

At one company I was at, the "safety" department had the equipment engineering group design a "Chuck Key Holder / Interlock Switch", which prevented the lathe from turning on without the chuck key in the hole. It was nice in the fact it was non intrusive to good habits. Take the chuck key out, put in the holder, machine runs, no other steps, other than putting the key away.

It is far safer if you never connect a machine to a power supply, at one time I had an old South Bend lathe that sat in a corner of the building for 15+ years, it was never connected to the grid and was the safest machine in the shop without question.

my .2c is, that's an ok solution if you only have one chuck. What happens when you acquire more than one chuck? each requiring a different key? :)

Some lathes have a shroud connected to a switch that can only fit in place if there's no key in the chuck. But ... safety systems only work if you're willing to be disciplined! if people want to be lazy unsafe, they seem to always find a way.

ps. your lathe is probably coming with a 3 jaw chuck, you may want to at least get an independent 4 jaw check as well.

The intent is good, execution may have issues. As previously mentioned, you may have more than one chuck. A key attached to a chuck key may be easily broken off or like too many car keys on a ring, the switch has issues over time. The holder with switch has merit. Just doing it right is the best. Easier to enforce the rules when they are yours.

Why is it so hard to remember to take the chuck WRENCH out of the chuck? And why is the chuck KEY also so hard to remember to take out of the Drill chuck?

Back