Guys, I've figured something out!

What I have found is that if you make it really easy to store the chuck wrench in a safe place you will get into the habit and do it consistently.
Hence:

31361032843_8e356859a2_h.jpg

It is so easy to drop the wrench into the tapered Delrin lined hole that I do it very reliably. When I switch chucks the old key goes with the chuck and the new key goes in the holder. No electrical wiring necessary.

Robert

Why is it so hard to remember to take the chuck WRENCH out of the chuck? And why is the chuck KEY also so hard to remember to take out of the Drill chuck?
hard to say, but enough people have forgotten both hobbyist and professionals that there's a lot of attention paid to it.

Why is it so hard to remember to take the chuck WRENCH out of the chuck? And why is the chuck KEY also so hard to remember to take out of the Drill chuck?

My experience is that I am thinking of the next step in the project when I let loose of the chuck wrench as the work is grasped by the other hand. Hard habit to break but fortunately I notice the error right away.
have a good day
Ray

When I bought my mini lathe the chuck key had a spring that did not allow it to remain in the chuck unattended.
It helped me to develop the habit of removing it always. This habit remains now after changing the chuck for a bigger one and a key without a spring.

download.jpg

Just barely into my machining rookie phase, I acquired an old Harrison M300 lathe (1979 model) for a practically junk-metal price. I had a very educational experience returning it to a good usable condition. Learned a lot about how a lathe works, 3-phase wiring and general machine maintenance. Being nearly 40 years old, the M300 had fewer safety devices on it than my newer lathe - one of which was a chuck guard. It was obvious to me that being commensurately a rookie and a senior citizen was very likely a formula for disaster since I had never been exposed to some of the subconscious safety factors many long-termers knew innately. Flying chuck wrenches can be deadly I am told. I decided to fabricate a chuck guard, loosely modeled after the one on my newer lathe. Not pretty, but it gets the job done:

IMG_1274.JPG

Learned a little more about 3-phase wiring and gained some experience in bending sheet metal as well. But the best part is I figured out a way to protect myself from myself. One thing I've learned over the years about safety (sometimes the hard way): Do the best you can to 'anticipate' a catastrophe; then take the time to design steps to eliminate it.

Regards,
Terry

I’m not saying abandon your idea, but will suggest developing a habit that will make it redundant while serving 2 important purposes. That is turning the chuck by hand every time after you set up a work piece in the chuck or alter its set up. First purpose is to verify that there is no interference between the chuck or the work piece and the lathe bed, carriage, cross slide, compound or whatever before you hit the go button. Second, if you leave the chuck key/wrench/t-shaped thingy/whatever you want to call it in the chuck, you will notice it immediately when you jam your hand into it when you reach in to turn the chuck.

Tom

I would think that putting all them extra safety switches would make me not wanna me to use the machine as much. I’ve never had a incident but who’s to say it can’t happen. The only time I would leave the key in is when I remove a part and am done for the day. I do have a chuck cover that will not allow the key to be in when guard is down.
If you don’t trust yourself you can easily make you chuck key spring loaded. Drill a hole in center of chuck key About 2” deep. Then slot hole to accept a roll pin the width of flats on key. Make a pin the same diameter about 1 1/2” long. Drill a hole to accept roll pin. Put a spring in chuck key hole then pin. Lock pin with a roll pin the width of flats on key. You should have a ejector pin on end of key that will eject when not in use. Done nice little project. :)

Like many have said. Just learn good work habits. I have never thrown a chuck key. My chuck keys do not have that annoying spring! Or any other thing a ma gig to prevent a thrown key. It’s just a simple golden rule “don’t leave the chuck key in the chuck”…Dave

That much weight on your key, won't be kind to your switch. Mike

Back