Haas Tooling Discount

Wow, those seem like amazing prices!

I bought four of their face mills at the start of the promotion and put one of the 2" to the test with 304 stainless using the inserts they grade as appropriate for SS. Info and videos here. The photos and videos all have descriptions - just click on them. At $100 for a complete kit with 10 inserts, a face mill and CAT40/50 arbor, it's hard to ignore the value here.

Be advised, their inserts for these shell mills are all proprietary to Haas - industry standard inserts to not fit these shell mills. There are also several errors on the Haas web site about arbor sizes if you plan (like I did) to scrap the CAT4/50 arbors and substitute R8 equivalents.

I'm not impressed with their lathe tooling - none of the tools have insert support shims. But I am going to test their CCMT equivalent inserts - awaiting delivery since a lot of it is on backorder.

Last edited:
<snip>
Be advised, their inserts for these shell mills are all proprietary to Haas - industry standard inserts to not fit these shell mills. There are also several errors on the Haas web site about arbor sizes if you plan (like I did) to scrap the CAT4/50 arbors and substitute R8 equivalents.
<snip>
I wondered about the availability of the inserts.

Thank you for the evaluation David, excellent....

Great deals ... IF your mill has a Cat 40 or 50 spindle. Unfortunately, I won't be able to partake :(

Great deals ... IF your mill has a Cat 40 or 50 spindle. Unfortunately, I won't be able to partake :(
I think you missed the point. I don’t have CAT40 or 50 either but at these prices you can chuck the CAT arbors in the trash and still have a decent shell mill and 10 inserts for the cost of an insert 10-pack.

OOPS! Somehow, I missed that. You're absolutely right.

Then eBay the 40 taper for $30. You'd probably sell it in a day.

Back