Hack And Tack, Now I Got A Vertical Material Rack

I’m curious; how does wrapping the lead around a bucket of steel reduce the voltage?

A simple transformer is 2 separated wires wrapped around an iron core
If you run power through one wire, it will induce voltage into the other wire
Since we are using 1 wire, no secondary voltage is induced, but the turns of the wire around an iron core, will reduce the flow of electrons

Last edited:
I’m looking fwd to what you find out with the weld stitcher as I think it used inductance to lower the voltage but also made the electrode oscilate to give the stitching effect giving you that continuous tack I was talking about. But this is all filtered through a faulty memory.

I’m looking fwd to what you find out with the weld stitcher as I think it used inductance to lower the voltage but also made the electrode oscilate to give the stitching effect giving you that continuous tack I was talking about. But this is all filtered through a faulty memory.
i have not used it yet, but from what i have read, the rod oscillates in and out in the holder
part of the energy that passes through the gun is operating a coil. when the coil is energized it pulls in moving the stick away from the work
when the coil field collapses, the rod moves to the work and is short circuited against the work momentarily, until the coil charges again and moves the rod away from the work again, ad infintium until the rod is consumed

I use my stick welder more than my mig. The Kutch 220i inverter welder is just a joy to use. When welding 1/8” bar...I’m using 3/32 rods at about 80 amps. Pretty fast moving of the arch /puddle. Mostly 7018 or 6013. For quick jobs where I don’t care about an occasional burn through....it’s usually the stick welder I’m using.

Raping the lead around a bucket of iron works as an inductor and will smooth out the dc ripple coming off of the older dc machines. Don't know if it would help on an ad buzz box or a newer inverter type of machine. In normal welding it is going to be hard to tell the difference.

Back