- Apr 17, 2018
I came in from the shop to the house to wash my hands and the bathroom light refused to turn on. The light has two bulbs so I was thinking I had a different problem. Went to the basement and I found a tripped breaker. It's the same breaker that runs the water pump. I turned it back on and flames and sparks flew across the room. At first I had no idea where the sparks came from. I looked everything over and decided to try to reset the breaker again. More sparks... Still could not find where they came from... Spent 10 min. looking... Flipped the breaker for the third time and seen sparks coming from a switch I installed many years ago to shut off the water pump easy without crawling back in the water pump corner. Close inspection I found a little hole in the switch cover so I removed it. The hole continued into the switch. I've done electrical work all my life and never seen anything like this. The funny thing about it the motor to the water pump was not even running. The pressure was up and the pump pressure switch was off. Something happened inside the switch and burned the hole all the way through two pieces of metal. I had a box of old new papers right under the switch that I used in the winter to start my wood fires. Guess the man up stairs was looking out for me today... After I show this switch to a few people I think I will take it apart to see what happen.