Had a unusual one today....

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
I came in from the shop to the house to wash my hands and the bathroom light refused to turn on. The light has two bulbs so I was thinking I had a different problem. Went to the basement and I found a tripped breaker. It's the same breaker that runs the water pump. I turned it back on and flames and sparks flew across the room. At first I had no idea where the sparks came from. I looked everything over and decided to try to reset the breaker again. More sparks... Still could not find where they came from... Spent 10 min. looking... Flipped the breaker for the third time and seen sparks coming from a switch I installed many years ago to shut off the water pump easy without crawling back in the water pump corner. Close inspection I found a little hole in the switch cover so I removed it. The hole continued into the switch. I've done electrical work all my life and never seen anything like this. The funny thing about it the motor to the water pump was not even running. The pressure was up and the pump pressure switch was off. Something happened inside the switch and burned the hole all the way through two pieces of metal. I had a box of old new papers right under the switch that I used in the winter to start my wood fires. Guess the man up stairs was looking out for me today... After I show this switch to a few people I think I will take it apart to see what happen.

Attachments

• Dsc09426.jpg
    Dsc09426.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Dsc09427.jpg
    Dsc09427.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Dsc09428.jpg
    Dsc09428.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 73
Now that's a new one! It looks like someone drilled a hole intentionally! Im interested in what you find when you open it up!

Probably a bunch of burnt and melted evidence.

Wow!
Is the switch rated for the current requirements of the pump motor?
-brino

I have never seen an install where the pump circuit powered anything but the pump.

I to will be curious as to what the failure mode is.

Is there a name on the switch? I would be interested in seeing what they have to say. Also, would this be something that should be reported to UL, or CPSC.

The few switches I have taken apart, I do not recall amything inside. The screw for the wire is in that area, but I cannot picture it arcing through both metals. In my mind, it would make a funnel or ball shaped hole, arcing to the nearest ground.

I have never seen an install where the pump circuit powered anything but the pump.

Pump should be on a dedicated circuit. At least here in CO, well pump power comes off the meter (before the main panel) to a separate weather proof, fused switch box on the exterior of the house generally next to your meter. Might want to look into some changes in your setup. Glad nothing bad happened. Mike

I will post more pictures when I open the switch. I did the wiring and I was also surprised that the bath light was on the same line. I did the wiring about 40 years ago. I also thought the switch might have been a little light for the pump motor. but the funny thing was that it shorted out when the pump was off with the pressure switch but maybe the bath light was turned on.

Sounds to me like a spontaneous EDM machine grew inside that switch. All you need to do is figure out how to harness it!

Back