Hafco AL900A lathe, is anyone able to identify what it really is?

For those who were curious, attached photos of the oil level glasses and some of the tools that came with the lathe.
20180617_161455a.jpg
20180617_161506a.jpg
20180617_161506a.jpg

I didn't get as far as the shop, so will need to get some oil tomorrow.
Likewise, the motor belt looks like it has seen better days. See photo.
20180617_162805a.jpg

That is easy enough to change. However the norton head belt has started to delaminate, realistically it will probably last some time. Advice please on replacing it:
1) Do a tear down, a lot of work I assume to dismantle the head?

2) Cut belt and replace with one of those linked things. What brand etc please?

Does anyone recognise the hexagonal stock tool on the right, I am assuming it is some sort of boring tool but can't see the point of it unless it is to avoid using a drill first?
20180617_164743a.jpg

Regards
Doug

Self-centering chucks usually have on set of id and one set of od jaws while on individual ones you can just flip the jaws since the threads are straight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For the belt for the spindle, best to use a link belt. Fenner is the maker of choice in North America, no clue for Australia.

For the belt for the spindle, best to use a link belt. Fenner is the maker of choice in North America, no clue for Australia.

Fenner and Gates are both available in Australia.

Bob who would be best to purchase a belt from please?

Off the top of my head Doug, no idea. It's a bloody long time since I bought a belt and that was a car belt skinny one "A" section I think, about 4 cars ago. I will make some enquiries for you, though it's a bit late for today. From the photo yours looks like "B" section, but could also be a fancy one so you do need to get it identified.

Do the belts on the lathe have any I.D. marks on them, are they the same? The motor belt should be pretty easy to get off, Take it to the car place you mentioned they might be able to identify it for you.

You could also try Southstate industrial supplies or formula motor parts they should be able to measure the belt an possibly supply one. You need to decide if you want to use a regular belt on the motor or a link belt as well as on the spindle. If they are both the same section then you will just need to buy a length of the right section link belting and you're in business.

Give the link belt some thought, while I've not tried it, a number of people on this and other forums say that they are better on a lathe than plain belts. Apparently less vibration.

Once you get that motor belt off, try to identify it If those places cant supply anything let me know and I'll ask around here in Adelaide. They should be able to supply and probably cheaper by the time you factor in postage. Let me know how you go

Bob. Will do. It looks to be a B section, certainly not an A. The motor belt should be in stock here, it is only just holding together, so needs doing.

But it does not seem like anyone here stocks the link belt. May have to wait until I go to Adelaide next. The head belt still has life in it, so not urgent.

I priced a 30 or 32T gear from a certain place in Adelaide you know well. $185 plus GST plus postage! I am not paying 10% of the price of a lathe just for a little cog, so will put that idea on the back burner and only get serious if I need to cut a 1.5mm metric thread. Or may buy one in from USA where the prices are reasonable, until you include postage that is.

The saga today was getting some ISO 32 hydraulic fluid. Got to do a tour of all the car parts places and industrial supply places including the 2 you mention above. One had ISO 68, another ISO 46. Wanted 5L so that ruled out the likes of Cat and the truck supplies as they all have 20L minimum size packages - won't use that much in 200 years! Ended up at Blackwoods as the only stockist, weird blue colour, but will do.

By the way, those 2 sight glasses in the head have a tiny little hole in them above the H letter, which I am guessing is the over fill safe guard, one
guess how I found out.....
They have a plastic or rubber collar on them, not an "O" ring to retain them.

The apron filler point gives no indication of when enough, until you notice the puddle coming out from the chip tray.....

Did some turning this arvo. Managed to scrounge up some axle steel. By the crikey it is hard! Used one of the chipped tungsten carbide bits that came with the lathe. Bit chattery, so was only taking 20 thou cuts to face end where it had been oxy'ed off. Think I may have rpm too low as am not used to the carbide twice as fast idea.

Very out of touch, it has been 3 decades since I last was on a lathe, all a bit intimidating, but good to be making chips again!

Regards
Doug

Doug You may never need the 30 and 32 T gears I wouldn't worry about them until you have a definite need. they should be able to get the link belt in, but if they can't or won't let me know and I can get some for you and post it up if you need it before your next trip downhere. Just need to be certain of the section and the length.

Yes the axle steel is hard and tough, you can cut with HSS, but at about half normal speed. but carbide should be at least double normal. I have taken some cuts about .060 but with new tips and my lathe is, well new, and it's nice and tight.

Have you been able to identify the tip holders yet. If they don't have ID numbers on them or they cant be read you can work it out, need to get on the website of a major manufacturer of them and they have charts showing the dimensions. but it's pretty complicated. Might be easier just to order some new ones. but even that's tricky because you need to know the system before you can decide which one you want.

Have you been able to ID your QCTP yet? what is the largest size shank that will fit your QCTP, mine takes 16mm pretty common size. Also you said there was a grub screw missing from one of the holders, can you show a photo of it alongside one that is not missing plus length and Dia x pitch.

Are there any small private machine shops in the Hill. I know there used to be, they did a lot of contract work for the mines and other contractors.

Bob. Just thought it would be good to have 1.5mm thread ability. Working on theory that if I do need it, could be a long wait to get gears.

Thanks for offer of link belt. Should be ok till I get down there. What suburb are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Tip holders, a couple have a SECO sticker on them. The rest appear Chinese. Will examine for markings and get back to you.

QCTP - no idea of brand, did not notice one, but wasn't looking either. Need to measure grub screw and get back to you. I do know the darn thing rotated several times whilst I was machining the axle. Had to resort to giving the handle a solid whack with a rubber mallet to get it to stay put. I was probably loading the tool too much with the chipped carbide bit but it did surprise me that doing as tight by hand as I could was not sufficient.

There is one private turning and milling place left. He must be pushing up to retirement now, many years since he had anyone working for him. I think his bread and butter are brake drum and brake disk refacing these days.

Yes unfortunately 1.5mm is a reasonably common pitch, perhaps if you were to measure your 40T gear od and id. if it matches mine I should be able to get a spare 30 and 32 T from the people I bought my lathe from.

Get to know the private guy he may have lots of valuable information for you, he may even know where to get various materials from in your area.

I am in Eden Hills down the hill a bit from Blackwood.

Back