Hafco AL900A lathe, is anyone able to identify what it really is?

Bob

This looks very similar to mine, allowing for the passage of time and upgrades.

<https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L295>
Yes it does, similar to my original one also, but still not cheap, I think you'l find even the genuine Aloris is cheaper with many knockoffs even cheaper again and you'll have multiple suppliers not just one, and one that doesn't have the best of reputations.

Bob

I noticed that and corrected it.

Because the height stop is missing, I have to set the tip height to the live centre point each time I change tools. It is a nuisance for sure.

Doug

Do you not have even a single complete tool holder with adjustable height setting.

The height stops appears to be an easy job to make. I bought a Phase 2 wedge style to replace the 4-way tool post to get away from all the shimming required to use it. Just about any kind of QCTP system is better than the 4-way! As you get some time on the machine you will start spending more money on tools etc. Enjoy

Bob. No, none of them are complete. All are missing the height device. Some are missing some of the grub screws IIRC 2 are missing the running thread for the height device.

Pierre. I had wondered about reverting to the 4 - way tool post, you just answered that question for me.

Regards
Doug

If you have to use a 4-way, get a couple sets of feeler gauges to help set the height of the tools. Usually one can only really get 2-3 tools in a 4-way due to the how the job calls for the tools and in which order.

Doug & Pierre, the Phase II is a chinese knockoff of the Aloris, the parts are interchangeable at each size range. they just use a different code for the size. My Aloris is the BXA which i think is called 200 series in Phase II and all the other knockoffs.

My other QCTP that came with the lathe as an optional extra, it also had a conventional 4 way tool post, is the Italian made ALGRA It looks quite similar to the one Doug has. We can compare some measurements and see if they are interchangeable.

Doug you have listed two different brands. There are quite a few of this design made by different companies in Europe, and they are not all interchangeable, so be careful. I'll have to dig mine out, it's a different brand again, I'll try to get some dimensions, and maye a pic or two The two flanges are actually on a helix and work like a cam, You would have to make them out of some pretty tough steel because they are hardened, A piece of axle steel would be good.

Send me a pic of yours so I can see what is missing, also note what the threads are, because I reckon I can get spares of some of the parts, if they are the same as mine.

Correction to the above.

The two flanges are not on a helix and do not work like a cam. They are parallel and on mine the the gap is 4mm the corresponding flange on the height adjusting spool is 3.5mm. A bit like a cotton reel. So it's not critical, easily made on the lathe. The hard bit is the eccentric further down the shaft, although I don't think the tolerances are anything to worry about, the top and bottom dia's. are 13.8 which are concentric with the other dia's above the main block.and the holes in the block that they fit into are14.1, The central section has a dia. of 11.2, that fits in the hole 15.3 in the clamping plate.The eccentricity appears to be 1mm. the clamping plate moves 1mm when the pin is rotated.

The main block is 3 sided and is 80.2mm square, the height is 56.1 The vertical "V" slides in the block are 65 apart, peak to peak. Hope that helps.

Bob

Here are some photos I took today for you.
Unfortunately the markings were a bust.
There are some other photos I want to ask some questions about, but will do separate posts for clarity.

I ran out of time and forgot all about getting measurements for you. I will do that tomorrow.

QCTP
20180701_142602.jpg
20180701_142610.jpg
20180701_142650.jpg
20180701_142656.jpg
20180701_142708.jpg

Now for some "what's this for" questions.

Photo 1
- Far side of the carriage, 2 sets of threaded holes, differing heights and differing dimensions apart.
Any idea what their purpose is?
- You will also notice 2 pieces of rag sticking up out of the cross slide. They are blocking 2 threaded holes
also of unknown purpose? They do however collect swathe and drop it into the cross slide area so I
will plug them with grub screws (if I have any that size) or small bolts.
20180701_152205.jpg

Photo 2
- Its at thing! First off I thought it was a parting tool with a broken carbide tip. But closer examination
shows the carbide does not appear to be broken. It also appears to aim way too low for a part off tool.
So what is it?
I have no idea why the forum software randomly turns photos on their sides or upside down. It is not
me doing it!
20180701_152349.jpg

20180701_152353.jpg

For your entertainment, look what I discovered today when I pulled the cross-slide/compound slide apart for a much needed clean and oil. This was due to the swiveling action of the compound slide not wanting to happen unless I slackened the far-too-big-to-allow-an-open-end-spanner-to-fit-all-the-way-on nuts many facet turns off.
It may be this is a factory job, but probably not. I wonder what happened to the originals?
20180701_135520.jpg

A couple of high tensile bolts, some ham fisted oxy-acetylene weld resulting in 2 dodgy
sliding (not) retainers.
Does anyone have photos of what the real things should look like please?

I have a steady rest, but am missing the retainer/foot device. Suggestions please as what I can substitute that will be robust enough to do the job?
20180701_152511.jpg

Another photo flipped on its side by the forum software!

Back