[Metrology] Haimer 3d NG Probe Offset Issue

All good points gents, but so far I don't see anyone talking about the sort of error my setup is imparting.
I am contacting Haimer customer support to get this worked out. The company I purchased the 3D from helped to confirm a few things but Haimer is going to need to explain this one to me.

I plan to pick up a dedicated TTS holder for the #D, but I really don't believe that is my issue.

I agree your error measurements are way to large but I guess I don't understand your test setup?
"After setting up the Haimer and fining x & y zero's on a clean milled aluminum bar, as soon as I place my 5/16" test pin in and check its offset, I get an error of .018-.020 out from the true edge."

First of all, I wish that I could say the runout on my Tormach was as good as yours. Having verified that your setup is reproducible every time, then I would not be concerned with using the Haimer without verifying concentricity first. As to why the Haimer is indicating an edge .020" from the true edge, that is a mystery. Two possibilities exist; the Haimer is defective or there is some undisclosed error in your methodology.

If it were me, I would use another method for locating the edge and then check with your 5/16" test pin. If it checks out, it would point to the Haimer as the problem.

Haimer does not say you must reset the concentricity every time you use it, if that were the case I would have never purchased it.
It does say that once you set concentricity you are good to go and may even change tips without effecting the accuracy. Unless I am reading the instructions wrong, or misunderstanding them, then I cannot see how my setup can produce a discrepancy/runout 40 times larger than what I am seeing as my actual runout.
Did someone here suggest you have to reset concentricity every time you use it? I didn't see that stated. I recalibrate mine every month or two or when I see an obvious error, or when I change probe tips.

I don't understand your setup either. Some photos or a video might be helpful.

Well here is an update...
I failed to both realize and measure the replacement tip sent to me was oversized by 1mm. It turns out that both Haimer and All Industrial elude to a .2" diamter ball when in fact it is 4mm or 0.157". This is the cause for the error - I can't believe I missed this, but now that I know the 3D should be good to go.

My apologies for muddling the waters - appreciate the feedback.

Back