Half - HalfNuts.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Had to fall back to my Logan to do some knurling this past weekend, since the 1440 is down.
Discovered that my half-nuts are shot. Gee, I don't understand, it's only 69-years young.
Now then, where on the 'To-Do' list do I place 'Rework Logan Half-Nuts'?
Then the gremlins descended. With the feed engaged the motor stalled out. Of course, level of urgency always affects machine function.
Turns out the collar on the lead screw needed to be reseated. When engaged everything moved to the left .036" and the gear on the end of the leadscrew jammed against another gear and was causing unwanted drag.
At least I was able to adjust the collar to keep the gear from touching, the half-nuts are another matter though.
Trying to engage the feed for knurling with half-nuts that are worn out is a blast, let me tell you.

1216181757RC.jpg...1216181755aRC.jpg...1216181639aRC.jpg

I have repaired several old lathes half nuts by boring the casting oversize and facing both ends back, and making a shouldered nut (both ends) and splitting it lengthwise and fastening it to the old half nut castings with pins lengthwise through the flanges.

I have repaired several old lathes half nuts by boring the casting oversize and facing both ends back, and making a shouldered nut (both ends) and splitting it lengthwise and fastening it to the old half nut castings with pins lengthwise through the flanges.
Watched some videos on that technique last night.
What material have you used in the past?

I have always used cast iron, but 954 bronze would be a choice too, but more difficult to machine.

I have always used cast iron, but 954 bronze would be a choice too, but more difficult to machine.
Thanks. Saw a couple done up in brass or bronze on videos.
Found a mystery piece of 1.5DIA. Bronze in my stock this morning, but of course it is about a 1/4" too short to use...
Guess I'll start scrounging for some CI. Then there's the matter of needing to grind a bit and not having any acme thread gages and time.

McMaster Carr is a good source for cast iron bar, and for various other metals as well, such as 954 bronze. Brass would not be a good choice, it does not wear well.

theres a guy that rebuilds these things goes by jay hawk machine and tool I had mine done by him mailed him my castings he mailed me a set that had already been done...in brass forget the price but well worth it

Back