Halogen to LED Work Lamp(s) Conversion

When I got to the end of your post, I literally said to myself "damn, that guy's good." Good work as always, Will!
Haha, thank you very much Bill!

Very nice. And to think I was just proud of myself for finally getting an electrician to install outlets so I could plug in my eBay LED strips!

Great job... Hum I have a 240v halogen lite like that I can't use because its 240 came with the pm935. I wonder if I could LED it to 110? Brighter and cooler. Never LEDed anything.

Thank you Rick! If converting to LED, as long as you can find a driver that meets the input voltage you want you can do it, well output matters too if you want to drive multiple LEDs.

I'm assuming you did already but check the bulb on that halogen lamp. The stock lamps for both my lathe & mill use 24V bulbs & they are powered directly off the 24 VAC output from the machines. The one for my lathe that died a month ago was a 110V plug-in-the-wall lamp, it still used a 24V bulb. Inside the lamp it had a 110V to 24V transformer, that's what died.

Also on Aliexpress (and ebay although more expensive) you can buy LED lamps that are already configured to run on 24V, 36V, 110V, or 240V. They don't cost much either on Aliexpress.

EDIT: N/M I think I misunderstood. Sounds like you want to repurpose it for something else & not run it on a machine?

very neat! I love LEDs, I don't think I have any lights in the house or garage that aren't LED. More light, less heat, last forever (pretty much) = awesome. My next project is to adapt the interior LED lights I made for my last car (recently totalled :( ) to our new car. It might be newer and fancier, but it's soooo dim in there :)

Great job Will. I suspect there is a market for this type of conversion kit.

Well I ordered a 350ma driver & installed it in the carriage mounted lamp. Oh, that is so much better! It was blinding bright before. I'm gonna order another one & replace the driver in the other lamp also. Good thing they are only $12 shipped & simple to swap out. I must say, I don't think I've ever built a light that I thought was too bright until these. :D

It dropped down to 9600 lux from almost 14000 lux @500ma
20200811_162718.jpg

Edit 8/14: Replaced the driver with a 350ma in the other lamp today. Now I'm really happy with them now.

Back