[4]

Hamilton Sensitive Drill Press Restoration

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Picked this up over the weekend No name badge on it just the logo in the last picture. Motor does not appear to be original. Anyone have any ideas?

20170426_181448.jpg
20170426_181518.jpg
20170426_181454.jpg

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I dunno. Moving the whole head and motor, instead of the table.

"Don't raise the bridge, lower the river!"

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I know, crazy design.

Here's something equally odd. The drill has two pulley arrangements for fast and slow speed. If you look at the first picture you see a largehand wheel on the side that raises and lowers the motor at an angle when it's turned. The handwheel has speeds on it ranging from 2850 / 880 at the slowest to 9350 / 2700 at the fastest. I'm sure the motor is not original but how would sliding the motor back and down change the speeds?

francist

Active User
Maybe it had a variable speed pulley on there -- like a Roto-Cone or Lovejoy ? You can get them where only one side of the sheave moves, so moving the motor up/down on the incline would also shorten/lengthen the motor to pulley distance. Just a thought, but I have two of those variable drives and they are slick that way.

-frank

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Interesting. Would that work with a flat belt also? The pulleys and the idler appear to be original and they're flat belt pulleys.

Wish it had a nameplate. Of course my Olivetti has a name plate and it didn't help at all :grin:.

francist

Active User
Hmm, interesting is right. Don't know if that would work then. I have one drive that uses a normal V-belt section, and the other which is considerably older -- circa 1920 -- uses a belt that is more flat than V. It's about an inch wide with much shallower angle on the sides, so kind of a hybrid. They're still made, Gates I think, or TB Woods. Whether something like that would work on your pulleys is hard to say without closer knowledge.

-frank

bl00

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered
It looks like a Hamilton.

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
and an answer to the variable speed mystery

francist

Active User
Nice.

dulltool17

Active User
Registered
Looks like you've got a bit of work ahead of you, but it should clean up nicely!

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
Plenty of drill presses move the whole head for adjustment. If its a gang or bench mount its usually the only way as the table is the base. Some are counterweighted or they will use a screw like this one. That's about the only thing on this machine I would actually consider normal.

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Looks like you've got a bit of work ahead of you, but it should clean up nicely!
Agreed, but I'm diving in!

The thread could probably use a title change. Anyone know if that's possible?

20170502_083526[1].jpg

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
If you send an email to one of the mods, they might be able to help. The main page shows which of these guys are online and a contact link.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
If you send an email to one of the mods, they might be able to help. The main page shows which of these guys are online and a contact link.
You are correct, we just need a conversation to know what you want to change it to and can even put in a proper section.

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
done and thanks

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
A little primer and paint. Nothing special about the color choice other than it's what I had.

20170502_142321.jpg

dulltool17

Active User
Registered
Looking good!

E

ecdez

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thanks! I actually had other tools that i planned to work on first but somehow this one got bumped in front. Never tore one down this far before so I hoping I can get it back together correctly. :D

[6]
[5] [7]