• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Hamilton Sensitive Drill Press Restoration

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ecdez

Active User
Picked this up over the weekend No name badge on it just the logo in the last picture. Motor does not appear to be original. Anyone have any ideas?

20170426_181448.jpg
20170426_181518.jpg
20170426_181454.jpg

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I dunno. Moving the whole head and motor, instead of the table.

"Don't raise the bridge, lower the river!"

ecdez

Active User
I know, crazy design.

Here's something equally odd. The drill has two pulley arrangements for fast and slow speed. If you look at the first picture you see a largehand wheel on the side that raises and lowers the motor at an angle when it's turned. The handwheel has speeds on it ranging from 2850 / 880 at the slowest to 9350 / 2700 at the fastest. I'm sure the motor is not original but how would sliding the motor back and down change the speeds?

francist

Active User
Maybe it had a variable speed pulley on there -- like a Roto-Cone or Lovejoy ? You can get them where only one side of the sheave moves, so moving the motor up/down on the incline would also shorten/lengthen the motor to pulley distance. Just a thought, but I have two of those variable drives and they are slick that way.

-frank

ecdez

Active User
Interesting. Would that work with a flat belt also? The pulleys and the idler appear to be original and they're flat belt pulleys.

Wish it had a nameplate. Of course my Olivetti has a name plate and it didn't help at all :grin:.

francist

Active User
Hmm, interesting is right. Don't know if that would work then. I have one drive that uses a normal V-belt section, and the other which is considerably older -- circa 1920 -- uses a belt that is more flat than V. It's about an inch wide with much shallower angle on the sides, so kind of a hybrid. They're still made, Gates I think, or TB Woods. Whether something like that would work on your pulleys is hard to say without closer knowledge.

-frank

bl00

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Former Member
It looks like a Hamilton.

dulltool17

Active User
Looks like you've got a bit of work ahead of you, but it should clean up nicely!

Ebel440

Active User
Plenty of drill presses move the whole head for adjustment. If its a gang or bench mount its usually the only way as the table is the base. Some are counterweighted or they will use a screw like this one. That's about the only thing on this machine I would actually consider normal.

ecdez

Active User
Looks like you've got a bit of work ahead of you, but it should clean up nicely!
Agreed, but I'm diving in!

The thread could probably use a title change. Anyone know if that's possible?

20170502_083526[1].jpg

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
If you send an email to one of the mods, they might be able to help. The main page shows which of these guys are online and a contact link.

RandyM

Staff member
If you send an email to one of the mods, they might be able to help. The main page shows which of these guys are online and a contact link.
You are correct, we just need a conversation to know what you want to change it to and can even put in a proper section.

ecdez

Active User
A little primer and paint. Nothing special about the color choice other than it's what I had.

20170502_142321.jpg

ecdez

Active User
Thanks! I actually had other tools that i planned to work on first but somehow this one got bumped in front. Never tore one down this far before so I hoping I can get it back together correctly. :D

[6]
[5] [7]