Hamilton Sensitive Drill Press Restoration

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
Picked this up over the weekend No name badge on it just the logo in the last picture. Motor does not appear to be original. Anyone have any ideas?

20170426_181448.jpg
20170426_181518.jpg
20170426_181454.jpg

I dunno. Moving the whole head and motor, instead of the table.

"Don't raise the bridge, lower the river!"

I know, crazy design.

Here's something equally odd. The drill has two pulley arrangements for fast and slow speed. If you look at the first picture you see a largehand wheel on the side that raises and lowers the motor at an angle when it's turned. The handwheel has speeds on it ranging from 2850 / 880 at the slowest to 9350 / 2700 at the fastest. I'm sure the motor is not original but how would sliding the motor back and down change the speeds?

20170426_181448-jpg.232253

Maybe it had a variable speed pulley on there -- like a Roto-Cone or Lovejoy ? You can get them where only one side of the sheave moves, so moving the motor up/down on the incline would also shorten/lengthen the motor to pulley distance. Just a thought, but I have two of those variable drives and they are slick that way.

-frank

Interesting. Would that work with a flat belt also? The pulleys and the idler appear to be original and they're flat belt pulleys.

Wish it had a nameplate. Of course my Olivetti has a name plate and it didn't help at all :grin:.

Hmm, interesting is right. Don't know if that would work then. I have one drive that uses a normal V-belt section, and the other which is considerably older -- circa 1920 -- uses a belt that is more flat than V. It's about an inch wide with much shallower angle on the sides, so kind of a hybrid. They're still made, Gates I think, or TB Woods. Whether something like that would work on your pulleys is hard to say without closer knowledge.

-frank

Back