Hammer head faces ?

jpackard56

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So, I have this old Stanley #595 soft faced hammer that the faces have finally completely broken off from age. E-bay shows them available, but they look old and ready to go just like mine did. What material would you all suggest I make faces from ? Would Delron be a good choice?

Don't know about Stanley hammers but I have bought Lixie faces from MSC.

So, I have this old Stanley #595 soft faced hammer that the faces have finally completely broken off from age. E-bay shows them available, but they look old and ready to go just like mine did. What material would you all suggest I make faces from ? Would Delron be a good choice?

Not sure how Delrin would stand up to impact.
A number of the soft blow hammers have nylon faces.
I have one that is nylon on one side and a hard rubber on the other.
Nylon would be straight forward to machine, the elastomer could be cast around a core screw and then machined down.

delrin is wonderful for soft hammer faces- i make bearing and bushing drivers all the time from delrin

Lead, Bronze, 7075 aluminum, & Ertalyte would also make great substitutions

But what is the transparent plastic usually yellow that is used?

So, the question is what do you usually hit with this hammer?

You’re probably capable of making new heads from just about anything out there so I’d probably start with whatever is in your shop. I like working with Delrin and wouldn’t hesitate to make soft faces from it.

cheers,

john

Thanks, everybody for your thoughts. Ertalyte is the only one I had not heard of. I have to admit Delrin was my leaning to begin with. We'll see what happens the next time I reach for that hammer and the heads are busted off.....I've been dealing with some medical issues so it maybe a while before I get back to my shop.

Back