Hand Lever "Dog Bone" for my INDEX Model 40

Chips'll Fly !

Registered
Registered
Good day everyone !

While refurbishing the "new to me" INDEX Model 40 Vertical Mill I picked-up a few weeks ago, I found that I am missing the hand lever that is attached to a reduced head, 7/16-14 X 1 1/2", socket head bolt, which locks the saddle to the knee.

The actual bolt was still in place, joining two 7/16-14 X 1 1/2", hex head bolts, securing the saddle gib in position. I found that the hand lever that locks the spindle by the same manner, is identical in construction.

Here's a picture...

The "Dog Bone" has a nominal 3/4" ball at the small end; a nominal 1 1/8" ball at the other end; is about 3 1/2" in length; drilled at 1/2" diameter to accommodate the reduced head of the clinch bolt. A 1/4-20 X 1/4" socket head set screw, secures the lever to the clinch bolt.

The print in the background is from the Wells-Index Manual; Part Number 1627A is no longer available.

Please, do any of you have a used/serviceable one available for purchase ?

Don

Hi. I parted out a later model 847. I can look to see if I still have a lock lever.
The later models have a lever that looks different, but I believe is the same dimensions. If its authenticity you going for, this won't cut it, but if its functionality you're after, it might be just the ticket.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Back