HAND MIXER GEARS REPAIR

petcnc

Active User
Registered
This seasonable project kept me busy (and happy) for this Christmas as it combined my happiness with my wife’s appreciation on the value of my hobby.
As it happens in most cases whenever you need most a tool, it fails and leaves you wondering “why now?”.
This was the case with my wife’s hand mixer. It broke exactly the moment she needed it.

sP1013188.jpg

So the appliance came to me to fix it.
When I opened the plastic covers I saw the weak point of the design that was the plastic gears that hold the metal beaters.
The protruding part of the metal beaters is so small that the plastic cannot deliver the required power and breaks.

sP1013148.jpg

That was exactly the problem on one of the twin gears.

sP1013150.jpg

My initial thought was to make 2 new gears and fix it once for good but considering the amount of work it requires I made a short cut.
I decided that a metal sleeve (as the dark in the following photo) that will replace the plastic end will suffice for the job.

s233947099.jpg

A bronze part on the lathe and the fun starts.

sP1013163.jpg

Some machining and drilling later the part was ready

sP1013166.jpg

sP1013167.jpg

sP1013170.jpg

Some preparation of the plastic gear and the part fits nicely

s_233947099.jpg

The job that remained was to prepare the slots for the beaters to fit in.
Using the dremel and some small bits my dentist gave me the job was easy.

s135635068.jpg

It took me more time to lock the chuck in place than making each slot.

s135538787.jpg

Slots ready

sP1013159.jpg

The retaining spring fits in perfectly

sP1013153.jpg

The parts fit nicely

sP1013160.jpg

All it needs now is to secure it on the plastic gear. With some help from my divider the job executed flawlessly.

sP1013181.jpg

Some bolts, nuts and grease later the new parts went back to the appliance.
Front side

sP1013189.jpg

Back side

sP1013192.jpg

Job done

sP1013195.jpg

A reliable appliance and a happy wife for Christmas

sP1013188.jpg

Happy Christmas to everybody.

Happy wife = Happy life ! :encourage:

Merry Christmas to you both . :)

Great job Petros, not just a repair, but a significant upgrade to a very weak design.

Gotta have all the kitchen power tools working at Christmas!

Brian

Great fix. All to many in this country would just toss it in the trash. Not a great path to sustainability. Cheers, Mike

Great save! Makes you wonder if the factory did any stress analysis at all on the gear design? Or did they just guess?
-Mark

Used to be when you bought an appliance like that (Mixmaster) it lasted 20+ years or more

Used to be when you bought an appliance like that (Mixmaster) it lasted 20+ years or more
Mark this one just failed after 25 months!
It had 24 months guarantee!
That makes me suspicious of the consistency of the plastics. They use something that deteriorates slowwwwlyyyyy!!!!

Back