Hand tool restoration hobby

Lbrewer42

Registered
Registered
Newbie here. I posted an intro in which I mentioned hand tool restoration as a hobby of mine. One of the members asked me to post my methods and share pictures. So here goes...

First credit where credit goes. I once stumbled onto a youtube channel where I found a lunatic guy calling himself Scoutcrafter was restoring old hand tools. I decided to watch to see why in the world anyone would want to waste their time making their old and used tools look nicer.

After about 2 videos I knew I was destined to become one of those lunatics. Preservation of the tools my dad and grandfathers handed down to me made a lot of sense and I have done it in their honor. Handling the tools makes me wish they could talk and tell me their stories.

Disclaimer: Some tool collectors cringe when they see a restored tool b/c they say the removing of what they call "patina" (a cool sounding name for that typical dark coating of embedded rust on your 30 year old pair of pliers that actually is nothing more than rust anyway) ruins the tool's history. So I won't polish away the patina on a rare and collectable tool, I will remove crusty and red looking surface rust to prevent further degradation though. The typical dark coating of dark "patina" rust is not polished off to a shiny finish.

Most tools I restore I also use.

Procedures:
1. Rust & dirt removal:
Rust (aka patina as well) is removed with a wire wheel and then Evaporust - incredible stuff. A white vinegar soak overnight is just as good (IMO), but the vinegar's usefulness is used up quickly compared to Evaporust lasting for a long time. So w/ vinegar @ $2.00 a gallon, the 20.00 Evaporust gallon which lasts for a long time was a no brainer after I got into this.

Step 2 - depending on circumstances: Sanding away gouges if needed.
Sanding away gouges/restoring original profile (like removing a mushroomed head on a punch). Harbor Freight 2 inch belt sander using varying grits from coarse to fine. The idea is to remove nicks, etc. and make the tool surface look factory-original.
Preservation of original tool manufacturer marks is desired, very tricky, and sometimes impossible :(
Sanding makes it shiny. I then use a buffing wheel to polish the tool b/c polished tools resist corrosion much better and are also more water resistant. Sometimes I skip buffing and use the following...

Other Step 2 depending on circumstances: Fiber wheel buffing/polishing.
An abrasive wheel attached to a motor like a buffing wheel. This thing is INCREDIBLE for making the surface look new. Its almost magic. I used to go through stages of buffing with various polishes and no longer need to do that (unless I want an extreme mirror finish for some reason). They now also have abrasive belts for the sander which I want to try. Knife makers have known about these wheels/belt for years.

Step 3: Finishing: Sealing and Paint (especially if the tool originally had paint)
I rub the tools with paste wax, or more typically depending on the tool, cover with shellac. Pliers would get paste wax because they get more abuse and wax is easier to re-apply than shellac which needs to be removed first for a new coat. A nail punch, not used near as much, would be dipped in shellac to preserve the knurling.

And I was asked to show some of the stuff I have done. Obviously I need to learn better photography skills with tools.

BTW - if you do not know what an Eifel Plierench is - you are missing out! This has been my go to tool for just about everything since I learned about it. Interchangeable jaws with one being a spreader, parallel holding of object using rack and pinion style of mechanism, no squeezing handles while using while having a claimed 1 ton grip (handles can be held together with a strong rubber band when in use), and it has a sort of ratcheting action while using it. I constantly find new uses and my wife gets tired or hearing me praise this tool for making jobs so much easier. Not made anymore (1916-2004), and I am guessing b/c most people didn't take the time to read the 5 second instructions as to how to use it properly, so they tried it as normal pliers and lost interest.

Attachments

• 1-Eifel_Plierench.jpg
    1-Eifel_Plierench.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 2-EC_STerns_C-Clamp_Restored.jpg
    2-EC_STerns_C-Clamp_Restored.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 3-Klein_Restored.jpg
    3-Klein_Restored.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 4_Suregrip_Nail_Puller.jpg
    4_Suregrip_Nail_Puller.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 5_Pexto_10%22.jpg
    5_Pexto_10%22.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 6-Vise.jpg
    6-Vise.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 7-Cleveland_Before&After.jpg
    7-Cleveland_Before&After.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 124
I thought I was the only person that knew all about the Eifel wrenches and all the attachment jaws. the only hand tool I know of that has the $6 price cast in the tool. I have two of them and one has a pouch with many jaws along with the tool. I am always looking to find more of them but they are harder to find now.
Dave

Typically ebay has them listed fairly regularly. I only wish I had grown up knowing about this tool for all the time, hassle, and, ease of getting a job done it would have saved me. I actually have two small and three large so I can keep one set in the shop and one handy.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only person that knew all about the Eifel wrenches and all the attachment jaws. the only hand tool I know of that has the $6 price cast in the tool. I have two of them and one has a pouch with many jaws along with the tool. I am always looking to find more of them but they are harder to find now.
Dave
Having known about the tool from childhood, 65+ years ago, I have watched carefully for a used pair to replace the one of Pop's that I left in the woods when my wagon broke down. It didn't really break down, but at six YO, pretending was important. I had occasionally seen a new(er) version but was looking to replace Pop's well used pair. Once eBay became usable, I found one. And it resides in my electrician's pouch, along side my Kliens and side cutters. I did put some shrink sleeve on the handles, just in case, but normally don't use them on live circuits.

Newbie here. I posted an intro in which I mentioned hand tool restoration as a hobby of mine. One of the members asked me to post my methods and share pictures. So here goes...

Welcome! I love what you are doing and have done a fair bit of old tool restoration myself over the past 2-3 years. I do a bit of blacksmithing along with learning general metal fabrication and machining, but the old ways of smithing are my biggest passion (not that I'm above using new techniques and tools by any means, though!). Finding old tools that have a story, as you mentioned, is just such a cool thing and I have no qualms about bringing them back to a new life. I disagree with critics that say cleaning them up ruins their history - nonsense! You have renewed that tool so it's viable for another two lifetimes of stacking more history on top of the history it already has! I did a lot of auction shopping at live and online auctions and picked up a ton of great old woodworking hand tools as well and have really enjoyed restoring a lot of those. My wife has wanted to learn how to carve spoons and such and she now has a nice work area for when the dabbles on those projects. Having those wood tools is a great complement to a piece of hand forged steel in so many cases - the wood and steel combination is hard to beat!

The pics you posted are great and it was neat to see some of your work. Keep sharing!

BTW - if you do not know what an Eifel Plierench is - you are missing out! This has been my go to tool for just about everything since I learned about it. Interchangeable jaws with one being a spreader, parallel holding of object using rack and pinion style of mechanism, no squeezing handles while using while having a claimed 1 ton grip (handles can be held together with a strong rubber band when in use), and it has a sort of ratcheting action while using it. I constantly find new uses and my wife gets tired or hearing me praise this tool for making jobs so much easier. Not made anymore (1916-2004), and I am guessing b/c most people didn't take the time to read the 5 second instructions as to how to use it properly, so they tried it as normal pliers and lost interest.
Ditto on the Eifel Plierench. I was doing some work at my parent's house and stumbled across this pair from my dad's tool box. Had no idea they existed. The pliers just above (not a full picture) are parallel-jaw pliers too though they work on a 4-bar linkage instead of a rack like the Eifel's. Just checked eBay, plenty of them out there from $30 or less.

Bruce

1651326227454.png
1651326439309.png

I just found this post, welcome to the site. Nice work shown above. May I ask how you go about saving wooden handles/grips, like those on #7 above?

Sure - and its a lot simpler and faster than you may think. Sandpaper (I hate sanding- but this is quick!) a drill press (mounted drill OK I would think) and Superglue.

1. Remove handle by taking off the bottom threaded "nut" holding the handle in place.
2. Insert a long bolt through the hole, instal a (washer &) nut to make sure the handle is fixed well to the bolt.
3. chuck the free end of the bolt into drill press (hand drill clamped to table edge would work).
4. Use smaller and smaller grits of sandpaper to get rid of old surface and make smooth finish.
5. And now the cheating part for a great and shiny finish: super glue.
6. Use a piece of any cheap cloth cut up into manageable squares, apply a drop of super glue (wear gloves!) to the wood and move it up and down.
7. Let the piece spin for maybe 10 or so seconds (don't hurry this - but it doesn't take long) until he super glue dries.
8. Apply as many coats as you wish - the more there are, the better for gloss and depth of shine.
9. Sometimes I use steel wool or a very find grit to lightly sand in between coats of super glue and wipe with a clean cloth before putting on the next coat of super glue.

Yes - cheap dollar store (well - thanks to brandon its 1.25 store now) super glue works, but I bought 13.00 large bottle since in the ling run it was less expensive. The little tubes ALWAYS dry out on me and you don;t need to whole tube.

If goes so fast to restore these handles that I put at least 4-5 coats on.

Its a great project b/c you spend so little time, but get such great results.

In fact after awhile, it is a very rewarding feeling to restore hand tools b/c I may only have to spend 1/2 hour to an hour on something that looked like a rusty piece of junk and you end up with the looks of something like that wooden handled one.

First credit where credit goes. I once stumbled onto a youtube channel where I found a lunatic guy calling himself Scoutcrafter was restoring old hand tools. I decided to watch to see why in the world anyone would want to waste their time making their old and used tools look nicer.

After about 2 videos I knew I was destined to become one of those lunatics. Preservation of the tools my dad and grandfathers handed down to me made a lot of sense and I have done it in their honor. Handling the tools makes me wish they could talk and tell me their stories.

Disclaimer: Some tool collectors cringe when they see a restored tool b/c they say the removing of what they call "patina" (a cool sounding name for that typical dark coating of embedded rust on your 30 year old pair of pliers that actually is nothing more than rust anyway) ruins the tool's history. So I won't polish away the patina on a rare and collectable tool, I will remove crusty and red looking surface rust to prevent further degradation though. The typical dark coating of dark "patina" rust is not polished off to a shiny finish.

Most tools I restore I also use.

Procedures:
1. Rust & dirt removal:
Rust (aka patina as well) is removed with a wire wheel and then Evaporust - incredible stuff. A white vinegar soak overnight is just as good (IMO), but the vinegar's usefulness is used up quickly compared to Evaporust lasting for a long time. So w/ vinegar @ $2.00 a gallon, the 20.00 Evaporust gallon which lasts for a long time was a no brainer after I got into this.

Step 2 - depending on circumstances: Sanding away gouges if needed.
Sanding away gouges/restoring original profile (like removing a mushroomed head on a punch). Harbor Freight 2 inch belt sander using varying grits from coarse to fine. The idea is to remove nicks, etc. and make the tool surface look factory-original.
Preservation of original tool manufacturer marks is desired, very tricky, and sometimes impossible :(
Sanding makes it shiny. I then use a buffing wheel to polish the tool b/c polished tools resist corrosion much better and are also more water resistant. Sometimes I skip buffing and use the following...

Other Step 2 depending on circumstances: Fiber wheel buffing/polishing.
An abrasive wheel attached to a motor like a buffing wheel. This thing is INCREDIBLE for making the surface look new. Its almost magic. I used to go through stages of buffing with various polishes and no longer need to do that (unless I want an extreme mirror finish for some reason). They now also have abrasive belts for the sander which I want to try. Knife makers have known about these wheels/belt for years.

Step 3: Finishing: Sealing and Paint (especially if the tool originally had paint)
I rub the tools with paste wax, or more typically depending on the tool, cover with shellac. Pliers would get paste wax because they get more abuse and wax is easier to re-apply than shellac which needs to be removed first for a new coat. A nail punch, not used near as much, would be dipped in shellac to preserve the knurling.

And I was asked to show some of the stuff I have done. Obviously I need to learn better photography skills with tools.

Nice job on the restorations.
I’ve never seen an Eifel Plierench before. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when trying to find one?
And do you have some specific examples of how you used it? Just curious to see if I want to get one too.

Thank you!
When looking for an Eifel, I personally like the EIfel FLASH (says it right on it) b/c the jaws are a heavier metal than the newer models. New being relative term. I also suggest getting one of the smaller pairs as well.
If I was looking for one al over again, I would make sure I got one that had the normal jaw, the pipe wrench jaw, and the spreader jaw at least. They are worth the extra money it will cost on eBay than when someone sells just the typical Eifel with regular jaw. After using mine so much, I would gladly pay 50.00+ if I did not habve mine already and that was the only one I could find.
I have never had to use my pipe cutting jaw (and small metal clip that comes with it). And I have only used the wire bending jaw/spring maker a few times.
Uses: easier to describe a scenario than to try to list them all.
Just imagine ALL jobs you do with pliers - you have to squeeze the handles and also apply pressure to do the work you want to do. Such as removing a screw where the head has snapped off. You have to squeeze the handles to keep the pliers clamping what the exposed shank while trying to twist the screw out.

Oh...you wouldn't use pliers for this? I don't blame you. But with the Eifel, you are not squeezing the handles together. You are just holding them there so all the power you put into the job can be used to twist the screw shank out backwards. Yes...I have...many times :)

If you can get a grip on something, the plierench can get it out for you.

The tool makes the most sense when you actually understand how the mechanism operates. You have the right handle built with a gear head at the top (inside the mechanism) and that gear head meshes into a gear rack on the bottom edge of the moveable jaw.

With a normal set of pliers, the torque you apply (like undoing a stuck nut/bolt) is transferred by a stuck item back through the handles back to your hands. the entire scenario becomes a war of your grip vs. the amount of resistance to moving the stuck item has.

Once you have the rack and gear meshed where you want them to hold the nut/bolt head, there is no way that nut can push those handles apart b/c it is not fighting your grip. Any resistance the nut can give is now fighting a locked gear system instead of your muscles.

When the Eifel clamps, it says it has 1 ton of gripping pressure. So a rounded off nut typically doesn't stand a chance, again with the added benefit that all you are doing is holding the handles instead of trying to squeeze them tight together.

If I am de-rusting a part/bolt/nut with a bench grinder's wire wheel, there is no way the wire wheel can rip the part out of the one ton grip. With pliers if I push too hard against the wire wheel, the part can easily go flying.

In fact sometimes I just use a rubber band to hold one plierench closed and use it like a small vise.

B/c of that grip you also can get some incredible leverage. Try bending a heavy spike into a loop with e normal pair of pliers and you break your hand. Since you are not squeezing the Eifel tightly, you can get more leverage and bend the nail - no it still takes effort, you can make a loop in the end of the nail.

There IS a learning curve...that takes about 5 seconds. And I think that is why these are not in everyone's toolbox where they would save a lot of effort and time. People just assume they work like regular pliers and get frustrated b/c they cannot get the to clamp by just moving the handles together.

Just like people nowadays are going nuts over the two step operation of Knipex pliers (push button and set the jaws), I like my Eifel (push handle and set the jaws).

These are my go to tool now and have been for awhile. I find if I am using something else I wonder why I didn't use my plierench instead b/c the job would have been easier with less effort.

Oh...once the jaw is set, and let's say you are loosening a nut. Hold the handles together on the power stroke, release the bottom handle on the reset stroke, and the wrench's jaw will now be loose allowing to shift position on the nut...but the correct distance for the gears to mesh inside is not lost. So as soon as you hold the handles together again, for the next power stroke, your one ton grip is there again. It's like a built in ratcheting action.

One other thing...I did learn that some of the older ones have straight gear teeth on the bottom of the removable jaws and some have angled teeth. So the jaws are not always interchangeable from one plierench to another. So if you buy one and then plan to buy the jaws separately, this is a good, and undocumented as far as I have seen, thing to know.

Sorry for the book! My wife get's tired of hearing me say, Man I wish I would have known about these years ago," almost every time I use them!

Back