Hand Wheel for PM Lathe

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have the PM 1228VF-LB. I want to do some small fine threading. The lathe has the gearing and precision to do the job, but I would not want to do this under power The material will be brass or aluminum, thread length about 1/4".
I am thinking to make an expansion mandrel to fit inside the spindle and attach a handle to it to crank the chuck around. It is a 1-1/2" inside spindle (D1-4 chuck) and it stops at the drive pulley. Has anybody made a handwheel for a lathe like this? And yes, I could just grab the chuck and turn it by hand. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!! Charles

Don't have any pictures unless you want one of the drive gear.

What is the issue with threading under power?

I guess im thinking a pic or two showing the area where you would like to add the hand wheel might be helpful!

I'm thinking that I want to extend out past the drive pulley about 1-1/2" and attach an 6-8" crank. That would mean that I have to have the cover open which also acts as a second safety to kill the power.

I will take a picture tomorrow of the shaft and drive pulley.

I am looking at threading maybe a 32 or 40 thread about 1/4" in length with boring bar and single point tool . Under hand power I can start or stop against a hard stop. Retract bit, crank in opposite direction and start over. I saw a guy on YouTube turning some brass threads that way and I think that would be a better solution than by turning the chuck by hand. The other way would be to do the Joe Pie way and it all upside down and in reverse. The short distance means the machine won't hardley get to speed before stoping.
I am thinking of a round container about the size of a chewing tobacco container only with a screw on lid. If I play my cards right, I might talk my wife into engraving the lid.

I’ve made one out of an expanding-sleeve masonry anchor, but it is for a much smaller spindle bore. It works well enough though.
This second method below is pretty popular too, much the same way as a bicycle stem attaches to the steering tube. Easily tailorable to suit your bore size.

B6E1192D-9604-44EC-B80E-E4152A45C82D.png

Unplug the machine when you have the crank mounted, just in case you forget.

Here is a bad sketch of what I was thinking. Shove it into spindle, tighten and crank. The steel bolt and plug will allow me to knock it back if it sticks.

Attachments

• Hand Crank.png
    Hand Crank.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
That will work too. One advantage the skewed or scarf-style has is that it can resist turning as you try to tighten it. With your method, the plug although tapered can still turn in the barrel which may become annoying. Once it seats it would probably stay seated, but until then it may just spin around inside the spindle. With the scarf joint style, that does not happen.

-frank

Something to think about. It would be easier to make too.

Back