Hand Wheel for PM Lathe

I made mine like Chewy's:

crank.jpg

Like him, I like the fact that you can just tap on the bolt head to loosen. The main thing I use mine for is tapping with a tap in the tailstock. The crank has to be quite tight for this but a light tap on the bolts frees it right up.

Here is the backside of head stock spindle. There is a cover that encloses all the gears and has opening for long stock. an 1-1/2" extension will clear cover with room to spare.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Chewy, if you look at an old thread here on H-M called, “Setting-up the PM 1236-T Lathe” you will see how I installed a handwheel. It’s kind of a long thread so just skip to posts 117-124. Hope that helps. Mike

Thank You!! Just skimmed the posts. Going to go through the whole list. Lots of ideas that I can adapt to my setup. Going to study about about cold shrinking the adapter. The extension hub has possibilities. I could rig a collett closer if I had some shaft to work with. Mine ends almost flush with the pulley, Thank You!!!

Chewy, you are very welcome. The handwheel has been a helpful addition to my lathe; I use it frequently. If you skip ahead to post 192 in the same thread I mentioned earlier, you will see that I added a spider to the handwheel. This is something else you might consider. Mike

Here is the backside of head stock spindle. There is a cover that encloses all the gears and has opening for long stock. an 1-1/2" extension will clear cover with room to spare.
Charles, i just noticed your photo of the lathe. I know this isn’t much fun or as elegant a solution, but if you are not going to be doing this often why not unplug the lathe, take the belt off and use the large wheel for the belt as the handwheel?

Trying the suggestion above would give you a feel for the forces involved (low) with threading when driven by hand. Maybe consider just drilling and taping a hole in the large pulley to add a handle when needed.
Leaving the cover open while operating by hand is a good idea (safety). I certainly endorse the idea of driving by hand for certain threading jobs but they might not come up as often as you would expect.

Back