• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Handle on Atlas handwheel

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dplucker61

Swarf
Registered
I have an Atlas TH-54. The handle keeps dropping out of the tailstock handwheel. How are those handles held in place yet free to spin when turned? Thank you, -Dave

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Welcome, should be able to see how the factory installed it , possibly a press fit , u may have to braze it back in.

Dave Smith

Active User
a picture will help us to suggest how to fix it ---is it a blind hole in the handle or a hole all the way through ?--Dave

dplucker61

Swarf
Registered
a picture will help us to suggest how to fix it ---is it a blind hole in the handle or a hole all the way through ?--Dave
It is a blind hole. Brazing it would lock it into place, unable to spin as the wheel is turned as the other reply suggests. I'll take a pic tonight. Thank you -Dave

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
You can try cleaning the hole and the handle taper really well to remove any oils or grease, and then use Loctite sleeve and bearing mount or 271 thread locker, or similar. The fit needs to be within a couple thousandths for the anaerobic sealers to set up. After they set it will require several hundred degree F. temperature to get it apart again.

You could drill the back of the spinner and tap a small hole and drill the bolt clearance thru the wheel then mount it and loctite the thread in leaving enough clearance to spin. I doubt it was ever ment to spin but through use its enlarged the mounting hole.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
You attach one of those vintage "suicide knobs" to the hand wheel.

agfrvf

Registered
Registered
drill a hole for diameter of small Ball bearing at the end of the spindle 3/4 the way through. Use a boring bar to cut a relief inside the handle bore. Place pen spring in spindle hole and press ball into it. Slide handle on spindle so ball engages relief groove. Crank away.

You can also cut a slot into the spindle and use a expanding c clip.

Last edited:

francist

Active User
Does the TH-54 have Zamak parts as do other many of the other Atlas machines? If so, rule out brazing as a possible approach. Zamak 5 melts at about 725 degrees, brazing typically happens at around 840 degrees. The part would melt before the braze.

-frank

Dave Smith

Active User
Dave--if you want to have it rotate then I recommend the spinner handle kd4gij showed----I like a spinner but some just want them original always---Dave

[6]
[5] [7]