Handle on Atlas handwheel

dplucker61

Registered
Registered
I have an Atlas TH-54. The handle keeps dropping out of the tailstock handwheel. How are those handles held in place yet free to spin when turned? Thank you, -Dave

Welcome, should be able to see how the factory installed it , possibly a press fit , u may have to braze it back in.

a picture will help us to suggest how to fix it ---is it a blind hole in the handle or a hole all the way through ?--Dave

a picture will help us to suggest how to fix it ---is it a blind hole in the handle or a hole all the way through ?--Dave
It is a blind hole. Brazing it would lock it into place, unable to spin as the wheel is turned as the other reply suggests. I'll take a pic tonight. Thank you -Dave

You can try cleaning the hole and the handle taper really well to remove any oils or grease, and then use Loctite sleeve and bearing mount or 271 thread locker, or similar. The fit needs to be within a couple thousandths for the anaerobic sealers to set up. After they set it will require several hundred degree F. temperature to get it apart again.

You could drill the back of the spinner and tap a small hole and drill the bolt clearance thru the wheel then mount it and loctite the thread in leaving enough clearance to spin. I doubt it was ever ment to spin but through use its enlarged the mounting hole.

drill a hole for diameter of small Ball bearing at the end of the spindle 3/4 the way through. Use a boring bar to cut a relief inside the handle bore. Place pen spring in spindle hole and press ball into it. Slide handle on spindle so ball engages relief groove. Crank away.

You can also cut a slot into the spindle and use a expanding c clip.

Last edited:
Back