Handy "Tool"

bollie7

Active User
Registered
Ive been meaning to post this for a while now.
Some time ago I was given a couple of dead hand held belt sanders. One had a 75mm wide belt and the other was narrower (about 50 or 60 - I forgot to measure them this arvo)
Anyway after pulling them apart and confirming that they were not worth trying to resurrect I dumped most of the parts but kept the rollers for the usual "might come in handy" reason.
They have certainly come in handy. The rubber ones have been great for various things involving curved sheet metal. shaping, drilling holes etc.

Just thought I would pass this on.
Peter

roller 01.jpg

roller 02.jpg

roller 01.jpg

roller 02.jpg

First thing I thought was, "Well, there is a start to a home-brewed belt grinder"!;) Good thinking, Peter!

Funny how that ever since I got into this hobby, I have never looked at scrap metal, old electric motors, etc, etc.. the same way again....EVERYTHING must be saved/re purposed!

I think I might be becoming a hoarder...:dejected:

Last edited:
Yep, I keep all kinds of parts for "future use". Often I'll find exactly the piece I need in that collection.

The hardest parts are:
1) having the space to store them, and
2) knowing where you put a certain part when you need it.

-brino

Drum spindle sander would be another repurpose for them. My belt Sanders won't die on me, I have an old aeg, bosch and an old rockwell.

Yup, I'm as guilty as the next. Old printers for shafts and rollers, rubber bushings and mounts, rollers off old dryers, Sheet metal panels from appliances, anything that catches the eye as potentially useful. You can be greasy, and green. Mike

First thing I thought was, "Well, there is a start to a home-brewed belt grinder"!;) Good thinking, Peter!

Funny how that ever since I got into this hobby, I have never looked at scrap metal, old electric motors, etc, etc.. the same way again....EVERYTHING must be saved/re purposed!

I think I might be becoming a hoarder...:dejected:
Yes, so many throw aways are great sources for shafts, springs, motors and such. A few weeks ago I was building a small loom and cut a strip of sheet metal from the case of a microwave I had scrapped, then used a hammer and vise to fold it over into 3 layers to make the pawl for a ratchet gear. I've also used pcs of microwave case to make pulley guards and patch holes in the old Dodge Ram I used to have.

Back