HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
Happy Father's Day everyone

I am still trying to make up my mind on my wish list:

Sorry, I know a lot of this has been covered here and I have tried to read everything I can find.

PM 1440GT, I think that's in stone but not ordered yet.
I'm at odds on the premium package, I want the lamp but not really thrilled about how the leveling pads look and am thinking about a little better quality chuck.
So I have exchanged one email with Mark and am going to get the electronics from him, I need to make sure the 3 phase motor that comes with it will not have to be replaced immediately. I want the Jog feature, Tach and Speed Pot option, proximity stop. I do wonder since it belt driven using the proximity stop if the belt slips any during dynamic stopping things will continue to move?? What other options am I not thinking about or missed that are needed or available to consider?

Opinions on a chuck, Set-Tru type seems to be the way to go, so poll time Bison, TMX or something else, I originally just wanted the get the direct attach chucks so working on barrels (16") won't be a pain but it seems one can get a little less run out with the set-tru type. Short head stock, plus spider, plus cam lock plate plus chuck becomes not so short. 3-jaw, 4-jaw, 6-jaw or all of them, I'm thinking 3 and 4 is what I will need. Suggestions??

In some of the posts here it seems PM also sells other chucks than just what is listed on their site, that will be included in one of the phones calls I need to make to get a few questions answered.

Dorian QCTP, it's only money right!!

I'm 6'3" so I am already looking at needing to raise it up a little, not thrilled bout leaning over anymore. I spent 20 years working on vehicles and my back isn't what it used to be, I should have been listening to the old timers before I became one.

Leveling Pads, what's good and what's not? The PM ones might be good they just look like they could or should be better, but I'm not an expert so I'm asking.

DRO, yes absofreakingloutley will have one, I installed the DRO PROS absolute magnetic on my Bridgeport and really like it, very easy to install. I have seen here as well that PM also sells basically the same, another question for PM. I have seen here where it might be problematic with the compound lock but I am not sure if that's with the 1340 or 1440 or both.

Taper attachment, will I need it, who knows. Would I try it out, yes. I haven't seen a lot here about them.

CALL YOUR DAD IF YOU CAN.

We had to put my Dad in the VA assisted living facility 2 weeks ago and I can't go see him because they are on lock down, rumor is there is some virus out there and beside that I'm working today or at least supposed to be and not looking at the Hobby-Machinist Forum.

When I bought my 1340GT I made up my mind I wasn't going to scrimp when buying accessories. Kinda like buying a Mercedes and then shoving a Chinese motor in it. Seems a bit silly, but that's just me.

So I bought a good DRO from DroPros and bought the mag scales. I bought the Dorian BXA tool post, but not the holders. I bought a few Aloris holders and some import ones I use for less critical jobs. I splurged on the chuck and bought a 8" Pratt Burnerd setright 3-jaw. Best chuck I have ever owned. I make spuds that fit into 1911 barrels and chambers that have to have sub-thou accuracy and runout. No problem with this chuck.

The only time it comes off is when I'm having to hang on to rectangular stuff, like when I'm making full-profile compensators. :)

I have Mark's electronics, proximity stop, and a VFD on mine. Love it. Mark converted my halogen light to a LED for me. Works great.

I work mostly on pistols and hobby stuff. I do some work on short barrels for AR type rifles.

Back