HAPPY THANKSGIVING

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
If you are traveling , have a safe trip.
If you are visiting a dysfunctional family.. chill, just let it slide..
If you are not celebrating, enjoy your day..
If you are visiting a non-dysfunctional family, you are a lucky person.
I had to steal that joke post..
Cannot B right.jpeg

Here in UK, we seem to have imported Halloween, and (sort of) Black Friday bits of culture, but of course, though the Plymouth Thanksgiving story definitely involved English settlers, it has never been part of British celebrations.

Regardless all that, from across the pond, here's wishing y'all a great thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgivingd.jpg Happy Thanksgiving1.jpg

As a US citizen whose ancestry predates the country by a hundred plus years (Jamestown), I don't really observe Thanksgiving as a religious holiday. I give thanks every time I sit down to eat. And every time I wake up. And sometimes "just because" over the course of the day. And only see the holiday as a harvest festival. Nonetheless, a "Happy Harvest Festival" to you all.

Well Bill, I hope you had a wonderful Harvest Festival. My wife and I sure did!

As a US citizen whose ancestry predates the country by a hundred plus years (Jamestown), I don't really observe Thanksgiving as a religious holiday. I give thanks every time I sit down to eat. And every time I wake up. And sometimes "just because" over the course of the day. And only see the holiday as a harvest festival. Nonetheless, a "Happy Harvest Festival" to you all.
+1 on those sentiments Bill.

My ancestry was similar, but was about English settlers landing in Africa. As junior school teacher told us, the Jamestown settlers suffered cold, and starvation, kinda wore out their welcome with the locals, and nearly did not survive. The Plymouth settlers apparently fared rather better, though I think life must also have been hard, and perilous risky. 1820 settlers in Natal (Africa) were more supplied (by British government). They traded their settle permission from the local tribes in return for access to firearms technology. Complete co-incidence to my name, they established Grahamstown :)

None is celebrated in the way Thanksgiving is in the USA. I think it has evolved to be more than a religious holiday. Religion or not, families will travel to get to be together if they can, and they often include friends, and even relative strangers. Brits don't have an equivalent holiday. I always send greets to my pals in USA. It seems the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjb
Thanksgiving was originally established by a religious sect pushing it on the national government. I don't remember the particular sect, but the "holiday" is only a hundred and some years old. The idea of a "harvest festival" is much older, a couple of thousand years at least, celebrated by most cultures to give thanks to their Diety for a full and bountiful harvest with a good supply of food for the winter. I am Christian, my diety is God. I observe the holiday as a religious holiday to thank my God for having sufficient food for the coming winter. In our modern society, it has become a secular holiday, an opening of the "holiday season", nothing more. I merely reject the secular concept of the holiday and observe it as to where it came from and what it means. Most cultures have a similar observation at a similar time to observe Thanksgiving by whatever name at whatever time. In the States, it has devolved from a true harvest festival to "Turkey Day". So to end the "sermon", I wish you all a happy Turkey Day, past.

Back