Happy To Help- Santa Monica

gt40

Registered
Registered
I am an avid hobby machinist. I have converted a Jet 13x40 lathe and a PM45m (RF45 clone) to CNC using DMM Servos and Mach 3 with an upgrade to 8k spindle and bt30 taper with pneumatic draw bar. I am happy to help any way I can on cnc conversion info and advice about cnc conversion issues with a lathe or mill.

Welcome to HM.

That's generous offer. There are many of us converting machines to CNC. I'm one of them. I may need you help with Mach3 mill.

I have no doubt someone will need you help :)

Mach 3 has a bit of a learning curve but it really isn't bad. The trick is getting everything reliable. What are you working on?

I'm working on a retrofit on a Shizouka AN-S.

Another member here is helping me (I'm just the muscle, he's the brains in this retrofit)

We are going with a Vtial systems DSMPC controller and hopefully using the existing drives and motors. I'm going to use Mach3. I've downloaded the demo version and know very little about it. I'm trying to figure out how to add another line of readout for another axis.

I would start by just going here and watching the install, setup and config video, the homing and limits and the interphase videos here:
http://www.machsupport.com/videos/

When I started with Mach3, it was like drinking from a firehose. These videos lay things out step by step. I would start from the beginning and then actually do each part of the video with your machine and then move on. It may feel like you are following blind at first but it will make sense as you get into it. Ask lots of questions when you don't understand a concept.

I've watched a few videos but can't really do any hands on yet. We are still gathering parts for the retrofit.

I got my MPG from Singapore, have steppers coming in from China for the speed changer and tool changer. More parts from the US are on the way also, and I'm not done buying stuff yet.

I think your idea of watching something and doing it, then move to the next is a good one. I learn best from hands on experience.

When the time comes I think your going to get tired of my asking questions :)

No worries. Especially for the config part of Mach3 for the first time, I felt like I was literally walking blind. Watch each section then do it and then it will make sense sort of... then watch it one more time if you have to and move to the next. You can only eat an elephant- one bite at a time...

Back