Harbor Freight 1,320 Electric Hoist in the Rafters?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Question for you construction/framers out there, or if you have hands on experience.
Is it reasonable to spread out the 1,320# load over say, 4 rafters to support the hoist and the load?
I am thinking of a roller strut design with u-bolts wrapped around the rafters to support this hoist https://www.ebay.com/itm/1320Lbs-Mi...G0:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!95926!US!-1:rk:7:pf:0
Have you done it?
Did you lift a 1,000lb load safely?
Is this a stupid idea?
What about 500lbs?
Thank you.
It sure looks like a great way to lift heavy objects on to the lathe (12" chuck) or welding table or.......

When you say "rafters" are you referring to the angled members supporting the roof deck or the horizontal ceiling joists? The rafters are designed to carry a uniform snow load at least up here, the ceiling joists are only designed to carry the weight of the ceiling and insulation.
The beam would have to be quite stiff to distribute the load, something like a barn door track would flex so that the load was only on one or two of the closest rafters. Not a great idea for a 1320 pound load.

Greg

Forgive my ignorance. The horizontal ceiling joists.
After thinking about this, one could reinforce with ties running from the roof supports down to the horizontal ceiling joists.
I realize there is a common sense load amount but I don't know the range.
My thinking is to keep it under 500lbs. But, spread over the joists (at 24" apart here in the Northern California Valley-No Snow) I could up that to 200 lbs per joist.
800lbs. maybe?
Thanks, you won't hurt my feelings.

200 lbs, good to go, that covers any machine accessory we are liable to use; accidently pushing the button too long could put a dangerous overload on your roof system, I'd not get a high capacity winch for light loads.
John

Can I suggest purchasing one of the HF gantry frames to go with the hoist? At least then there is little chance of pulling down the roof over your head.

Probably better to run a supported beam or rail along the ceiling, separate from from the ceiling joists. It wouldn't take up much additional room and would be much stronger and safer (beam fails it doesn't bring down the ceiling / roof). You could have movable posts that could be moved into place for added support for heavy loads.

Would need to know How yours is constructed to answer that. Some picture would help.

I get the picture,
Thanks guys.
I'll keep it to heavy chucks and rotary tables.
It was a stupid idea anyway.
The light weight one is ok though.

Not stupid at all. Like I said depends on how your shop is built. I beefed up my old garage rafters and was pulling engines

Back