Harbor Freight 20 Ton Press questions...

basenjib123

Registered
Registered
So I have been reading a lot of information on this 20 ton press from HFT. I see a lot of conflicting information on the bolted vs welded models?? Which do you think is better and why? Just FYI for anyone interested ... they are offering the 20 ton press for 137.99 black friday weekend. I have never seen it any lower than that. Thanks and happy thanksgiving to all!! .. Joe.

Happy Thanksgiving Joe,
i would think that a welded section is way stronger and stiffer than a bolted section of steel
you could always compromise and bolt it together and then weld the joints too if safety was a concern, but it is not necessary.
the $137 dollar model is bolted together if i had to guess, otherwise filling a shipping container with welded frames would be economically unfeasible.
either press will do the job you ask of it

I chose the bolt together model. Like most Harbor Freight items it requires a bit of finessing. I spent couple of hours tweeking things and it's works OK.
Northern Equipment has a similar model that has a much better traveling press bar arrangement. If I had seen it before I bought the Harbor Freight unit, I would have purchased it.

I have the welded model. Of course, as with most HF items I've purchased, I had to return the first one because it was welded together crooked. The second one was o.k. Had to do some little improvements to make it work satisfactorily. If I had to do it again, I'd just wait for a good used American made press to show up on Craigslist or one of the used machinery dealers. They show up on CL fairly regularly.

Ted

When I was looking at them several years ago, the online advice I found was "get the gray one, not the red/orange(?) one." I bought a model 60603, the same one that is currently on sale. It has been just fine. As with most Harbor Freight stuff, corners have been cut in the design and execution. Still, it works just fine as it is, and the price is outstanding. I have not made any modifications at all to it, it works fine just like it is. I don't use it that often, but when I do, I wonder how I got along without one all those years.

I have the welded one. It works as advertised. Not the best quality but it hasn't failed me yet and the price is right.

To answer your question I would get the bolted frame press and do what Ulma Doctor suggested.

I've often thought about building a press but gathering the hyd jack, the stock for frame members, the return spring, the pins and the plates would probably cost as much as the HF unit. Think of it as an almost completed kit. Bolt it together, true it, and if necessary, weld it. Just don't let welding warp it out of true.

i have the welded version, very stout for HF, I welded in a few braces as well.I don’t know if they made any changes with supplied press plates, but they were cast and can shatter, get a good steel set (set I bought were almost as expensive as the press!) I changed out the bottle jack with the pneumatic jack, makes it much easier and faster to work with.
Air bottle jack

I've got a bolted version. I've used it several times pressing bearings and straightening shafts. It works fine. I did replace the manual jack with the pneumatic jack. I carry the manual jack in my pickup to change tires, so it wasn't a complete waste. I don't believe they sell cast press plates anymore; mine are steel.

Thank you very much for the replies ... Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! oh and the Welded and Bolted are both on sale for that 137 bucks..it just depends on the particular store that you go to. My store says that they have both there #60603 (bolted)...and #32879, 97022 (Welded) ... So I guess there are actually 3 models out there depending on locations. Thanks again guys..Joe.

Back