Harbor Freight 8x12 motor squeak.

RUSTEDFENDERS

Registered
Registered
Has anyone had a motor squeak when the motor was off and moving the chuck back and forth?

I'm guessing it's a lathe, if so is it belt driven, if so check belt tension/alignment might put a little bar sope on it and see if squeak goes away

I'm guessing it's a lathe, if so is it belt driven, if so check belt tension/alignment might put a little bar sope on it and see if squeak goes away
I took all the belts off and turned the pulley attached to the motor and its definitely in the bearing on the motor.

On a single phase motor, it is likely the brush contactor for the centrifugal start capacitor switch that is making the noise. My Chinese made Kent 13x40 did it, and it drove me crazy when dialing in parts. I removed the motor, took it apart, found the problem, polished the contact brush and the area it rubs on the plate it contacts with. When I put it back together it was totally quiet. A few months later it came back again. I gave up, and am trying to ignore it. It is not causing any extra wear or other problems with the motor -- if your issue is the same as mine was. The bearings were in great shape...

I've had good results with Permatex silicone spray on issues like that, just a tiny bit though..
MS

I've had good results with Permatex silicone spray on issues like that, just a tiny bit though..
MS
I must confess to adding a bit of lubricant to mine as well, can't remember what kind I used. At this point it is not worth taking it apart to add more. The switch disengages immediately as the motor starts, and stays disengaged until the motor is almost completely stopped on shutdown, so it is not an ongoing wear issue, just an annoying squeak when dialing in parts.

MS
TEFC motor, must be disassembled to lubricate, heavy and awkward to remove and remount... I am speaking of my motor here, not what the OP, or you Mark, might have. I am certainly not going to do that a few times per year. Turning up the music might be a better bet...

TEFC motor, must be disassembled to lubricate, heavy and awkward to remove and remount... I am speaking of my motor here, not what the OP, or you Mark, might have. I am certainly not going to do that a few times per year. Turning up the music might be a better bet...
I definitely like to music idea I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Thanks for all your help.

Back