Harbor Freight 8x12

I have a lathemaster 8x14 (same lathe as the hf 8x12). When I bought my lathe it came with both 4" three jaw and a 5" four jaw chuck. The four jaw chuck also came with an adapter plate. So if you get a different chuck, get an adapter plate with it or make one. Also one more thing to do is replace the 3 allen head screws that hold the chuck with hex head. I believe the ones that I got are M8 x 20. Trust me on replacing the screws, it is one way to keep your language clean. It also came with a 8" face plate. It's a tough little lathe and I've run each of the two chucks or face plate at one time or another with no problems.

An adapter plate is the way to go. You machine the back to exactly match the flange on the lathe. Then machine the front to exactly match the new chuck. Then mark the flange, adapter, and chuck so you always assemble them the way you machined it. I like to put a "0" mark on all my lathe spindle bits and pieces. It can be a pretty tight fit when you have 4 bolt holes on the new chuck to arrange it so you don't hit one of the 3 bolt holes for the lathe flange if they are close to the same circle diameter. By exactly I mean so close that you have to tap on the chuck or the adapter with a brass hammer to get it off.

Back