Harbor freight bench top mill

okiemike

Registered
Registered
Hi. I am new to milling. I just purchased the harbor freight unit and I have had terrible luck buying decent end mills. I will mainly be milling 1/4 thick 6061 aluminum. I want to mill using a 1/4 end mill a slot 3" to 4" in length all the way through so a 1/4-20 bolt can slide. I see where you can get center cut end mills and make one pass cleanly. I don't want to spend a bank full of cash for a good set. But so far I am not having any luck.

Any help I would greatly appreciate. Thank you

also I may even try and use 1/4" and 1/2" lexan

I am wanting to go all the way through 1/4" thickness piece of aluminum flat bar. I can't get through the 1/4 aluminum with the end mill I have purchased without making several passes. And once I have completed the slot I have some burs.. I am not expecting a totally clean slot. And even thought I didn't purchased this unit not only on this video below.. But for the price I figured it would be a decent entry unit and I have a Harbor fright 5 minutes from my house. But I went with this unit because I wanted to duplicate what this gentlemen was doing in the video below. I do see he made 1 cut pass and 2 clean up passes.. I am assuming I am just buying the wrong end mills.

I just want to find end mills to do what this video does from 8:45 through 10:00

For that cut use a ¼" 2 flute end mill. You will need it to be center cutting if you want it to drill the starting hole, or you can drill the hole separately. Don't use a 4 flute, you'll get a lot of chatter.

I would start with a new e'mill sounds like yours is wore out , if you are getting a lot of table movement when plunging just lock the XY and then plunge with Z . Another thing you could do is drill a hole first so you don't have to plunge .

For that cut use a ¼" 2 flute end mill. You will need it to be center cutting if you want it to drill the starting hole, or you can drill the hole separately. Don't use a 4 flute, you'll get a lot of chatter.
That is what I purchased 4 flute and not center cutting. I can make 3 passes but these 4 flute have been a head ache. I read somewhere about only using 2 flutes cuts better.. but I wanted to ask for help. I appreciate your input. I will look now.

Yes, use 2 flutes for slot cutting, 4 flutes for side milling. For cutting aluminum and mild steel use high speed steel (HSS) end mills. For a ¼" end mill in aluminum you can probably run the mill as fast as it will go, use some WD-40 as a lube to help give a smoother finish. While center cutting end mills will drill the starter hole, it will cut much better if you pre drill a pilot hole, say 3/16", for a ¼" slot. If you do go for it in one shot, peck drill.

ahhh 4 flute is for the cut below. I appreciate it... Thank you

2018-05-01 14_57_09-Capture.png

Yes, use 2 flutes for slot cutting, 4 flutes for side milling. For cutting aluminum and mild steel use high speed steel (HSS) end mills. For a ¼" end mill in aluminum you can probably run the mill as fast as it will go, use some WD-40 as a lube to help give a smoother finish. While center cutting end mills will drill the starter hole, it will cut much better if you pre drill a pilot hole, say 3/16", for a ¼" slot. If you do go for it in one shot, peck drill.

I will do a pilot first and then run the end mill and use wd40... thank you again

Back