Harbor Freight Digital Micrometer

jgedde

Active User
Registered
I will first preface this by saying I'm generally not a huge fan of electronic digital measuring tools.... I was in Harbor Freight last night to buy a new buffing wheel. As always, I left the store with more than I went in for.

As I was browsing I saw a digital micrometer on sale for $34.95. My immediate thought was that must be a piece of garbage. But I opened the box and took a look... It appeared to be well made. I turned it on and it zeroed consistently. I noticed the display read to 5 decimal places (technically 4-1/2). Yeah right I thought. But for that price ($27.18 with the 20% coupon I printed online), I figured what the heck. It comes with a ball end attachment, spare battery, case, and battery replacement tool.

I got it home and started measuring things. In every case it agreed with my mechanical 0.001 mike and seemed to measure things I more or less knew the size of to sub 0.001 accuracy and do it accurately and consistently. I don't have jo-blocks, Deltronics or anything like that at home so I was limited in really testing this thing.

Here at work we have a mechanical inspection department with super high end stuff in a HEPA filtered, environmentally controlled room. This morning I gave the new mike to the head inspector and he checked it against his Grade AA Jo-blocks. In every case it read accurately and consistently to 0.0001" Needless to say I'm shocked at how well this thing works!

Of course I don't know how well it will hold up, and I haven't yet dropped it, but so far its a big winner... If someone asked me to think of one complaint about this instrument I would say that it doesn't have the feel of the $500 Mitu or Starrett units we have. But this would be nitpicking - the feel of it is not bad at all.

It doesn't show up at HF's website so I can't post a link, but here a photo of the unit...

$(KGrHqF,!ksE9WGcm7+YBPbQEe,TVg~~60_35.JPG

John

$(KGrHqF,!ksE9WGcm7+YBPbQEe,TVg~~60_35.JPG

Its looks identical to the Fowler 54-850 series micrometers. I know the Fowler ones come with a 1 year warranty, did the Harbor Freight model come with any type of warranty? Good find.

Its looks identical to the Fowler 54-850 series micrometers. I know the Fowler ones come with a 1 year warranty, did the Harbor Freight model come with any type of warranty? Good find.

90 days according to the manual. I know HF has an unconditional 30-day return policy also. But, it's 1/3 the price of the Fowler at online prices.

By the way, I learned that a fingerprint has measurable thickness with this mike... The moral? Keep your mike anvils scrupulously clean!

John

Is it a sacrilage to sell an old Starrett Mic for this HF? :thinking:
Yes it is! :p Keep your Starrett and get the HF. The Starrett will be working reliably after the HF unit is dead and gone, never needs batteries, etc...

John

I picked up one of these about a mounth ago. Did the same thing as the op took it to work and checked it with the gauge blocks in the calibration department. It is just as accurite as the mikes we use. Can't beat it for the price.

Damn it, damn it, damn it! I hate you guys! Now I've got to go look at one. :p I don't really need it but at that price/performance it would be hard not to get one for backup if nothing else.

I'll even take in one of their 20 percent off coupons and get it even cheaper. Damn it! :biggrin:

-Ron

The part number is 68305 if you want to call ahead to see if they have one on hand. I am still stunned by getting 20% off AND a free multimeter:)

Bought my HF Digital mike today.

Checked it with my Mitutoyo grade 2 gage blocks. Right on with every randon gage block .050" to 1.000", even .1001" thru .1009"!!!

Found my Starrett 1.000" round standard out by .00025"!!!

I am impressed!!!

Back