Harbor freight double cut saw

laddy

Registered
Registered
Hey,
Has anyone tried the harbor freight 5" double cut saw? Looks like an angle grinder with two blades that spin in opposite directions. Video provided by Har. Fr. shows it cuts anything and leaves a smooth cut no kickback.....Looks interesting and on sale. Anybody try it??? Thanks Fred

Haven't tried one, but took some time to look up reviews and feedback on it. I wasn't impressed by what I read. You might want to do the same........then decide.

I had seen a TV show that had showed off the capability of those saws. I cant remember the brand they showed, but to watch it in action looked very impressive.

Though, I havnt heard much about them since. I wonder if it was bad reveiws, of not as good as advertised? The program I watched, showed them cutting a car in half. If it was cheap enough, and had a use for it, Id be tempted to try it.

Fred
What is the current sale price?

Seems to be an answer to one of those questions that nobody asked.
It just uses a different technique to cut things that can just as easily be cut with the tools that you probably already have.

Of course, if you don't have any other tools for cutting then you might want to give it a try.

However, as was pointed out, read the reviews on the HF site first, and also be aware that replacement blades are $20 a pair.

M

i purchased one from harbor freight when i put on my metal roof it worked well on thin material but you need a full set of welders leathers those chips are smoking hot. I know it never tried to grab or bind on very thin material
I keep forgeting i have it for thicker material and havent tried it since.
steve

I remember seeing the informercial on the original (German I think) version, the car cut in half, the guy cutting his way out of a welded steel box, etc. Cool looking, but that's one of those that I would expect HF not to measure up. I think the concept has merit, but since some of the other manufacturers haven't copied it yet (that I've seen) like the little oscillating multitool, and even Sears doesn't sell it that I've seen........I have my doubts.

after reading this i decided to give my saw a better try. I had to cut out holes for my electrical panels on my cnc and was talking to "rbecket" about using the plasma on 1/16 steel and deformation. I forgot i owned this thing. well it worked just perfect there was no motor strain heard and it cuts straight and fast. i could not have used anything easier to cut a blind hole no drift or grabbing at all. now the downside is the handle is fat to hold in one hand and there is no rest or guide at all it is all freehand. I dont know how long it will last or blade life (it didnt even wear the paint off my blades yet) but this thing eats 1/16 mild steel with a plunge cut no problem.
steve

DSCF0240.JPG DSCF0241.JPG DSCF0242.JPG

I purchased one, made two cuts with it in 20ga steel and returned it. It cut good did what they said but. that is the most awkward, hard to hold, and just plane frigging scarey little bugger I've ever had a hold of, I'll just use cut off wheels.

Back