Harbor Freight Gun Safe

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Welp, I finally broke down for a cheap gun safe (loose definition). I had set up a shopping trip with Norm, to look and purchase a small (less than a dozen rifles) gun safe, planing hitting Runnings, TSC, Bass Pro and Harbor Freight.

Saturday morning, I had a few errands to run, before we went shopping, as I was putting gas into the wife’s Equinox, I was right door to HF, so I ventured in to look and see.

I ran into the manager, looked it over, it met the basic requirements, and after some manager/coupon magic, the price dropped by about $100, so I bought it.

Norm came over and helped get it in the house, I got it loaded up and it’s functioning as I needed it to. The wife is not real impressed, as it sets in the living room (I told her it was temporary).

This was all started by a friend in the Binghamton area, who got fined and has his guns confiscated (he later got them back), for not having them locked up. Apparently, in the great state of NY, it’s now illegal (?) to have gun, that are not locked up between uses. Not really sure of all of the details, but if correct, I do not want the hassle. So locked up they are.

119DD456-C720-49E3-A070-FB1D693505AC.jpeg3E6FB9E5-ACC4-48B0-98EA-B95FA73C5211.jpeg

Last edited:
The safe (loose term) is basically a heavy doored metal box, with cheap carpeting and 10 ga walls, ceiling and floor. It is severely out of balance, it stands fine, but when you open the door, it wants to fall forward, until the both of the door hits the floor.

Is it terrible, no, is it great, no, it adequate. The door is smooth, the lock handle and mechanism seems solid and the electronic lock works as described. There is also a backup key lock, in case the batteries die. There is also a lockable interior cabinet, for pistols (?) and 2 adjustable shelves, thats usage would severely limits the usable rifle length.

Should I have looked around, as I had originally planned, probably, but most in the price range I wanted to spend (sub $500 tax included), looked rather similar. The one I really wanted was close to 600# and cost $2200,

Norm came over and helped get it in the house, I got it loaded up and it’s functioning as I needed it to. The wife is not real impressed, as it sets in the living room (I told her it was temporary).
Looks great where it's at! Maybe get a poster of a grandfather clock or something to hang over the front?

Bruce

Not really sure of all of the details, but if correct, I do not want the hassle.
Y'know, I don't wanna really throw-down on your choices, but if there was a threat of confiscation, I might be keen to very much learn those details.
NY is just the kind of place that will nab you on the details.

If you're using that to comply with the law it's one thing, but to actually stop theft is another. That style of box can be pried open in about a minute or two but it has to be lying on it's back to do so. Short version...lag bolt it so it can't be easily knocked over, or it really won't stop thieves.

YouTube video of a couple of guys breaking into a safe in under two minutes....

watch

Last edited:
I got a copy of the law is morning, you basically need a lawyer to read it to you in English, but I’m sure I comply. My lawyer (BIL) is suppose to clarify an question or two is later this afternoon

If you're using that to comply with the law it's one thing, but to actually stop theft is another. That style of box can be pried open in about a minute or two but it has to be lying on it's back to do so. Short version...lag bolt it so it can't be easily knocked over, or it really won't stop thieves.

YouTube video of a couple of guys breaking into a safe in under two minutes....

watch

it’s to comply, it’s basically a large sardine can, it’s like car door and most front door locks, it keeps honest people honest, a true thief can get anyway.

It's sort of like those pretend helmets that many Harley riders wear. Yes, they meet the law, but they very likely won't offer much protection when you really need it. What's the fire rating (in minutes), as that's one thing that's nearly as likely to happen as someone trying to get into it.

Here in Canada Federal regulations require only a trigger lock. No cabinet is required. ammunition has to be stored in a separate area not necessarily under lock and key. Of course the weapon has to be unloaded.
A friend of mine has several hundred guns as a collector. Their all stored in 15x15 foot room, below grade in his house. The room is lined with 3/8 plate steel including the ceiling. The door is 1/2" thick plate. He's got everything from old US army colts to a Barret 50 cal.

Last edited:
Back