Harbor Freight Gun Safe

i inherited a strange little cabinet from my Dad. One side has two standard filing cabinet drawers (each with its own lock, IIRC) while the right side has a locking cabinet style door. Inside the cabinet side, the upper half is occupied by a small safe while the lower portion has two shelves. The bad news is that I haven’t a clue as to the combination, while the good news is the safe door is open, and I have the keys to the drawers and cabinet drawer. If I throw it in the back of my pickup (easily manageable by two people) and haul it to the local locksmith, would the cost of determining (or resetting) the combination be worthwhile to be able to store another half dozen handguns, as well as papers, etc with that level of security? I already have a couple of gun safes. But they’re getting kinda full.

Froggie

Have seen these. Fairly common small business cabinet for keeping files and petty cash. I would remove lock or set it to stay open as not much other than sentilmental value IMHO.

UL lab certified fire protection of important documents, photo albums, etc is a concern. All my safes are UL certified to keep contents under charring point of paper for a solid two hours. Plus the protection from attack by determined thieves.

This link details common myths about typical "gun safes" with plenty of examples. Four pages in all. Bottom line a cheap metal box isn't secure. And actually concentrates all the goodies in one place for the thieves to steal. Four pages in all.

Last edited:
New York is not a big fan of 30 round clips on ARs either . We found that out in the middle of the mountains on my personal property . :grin:

My gun safe is bolted down in my garage. If a thief finds it he will have to choose between the oxy acetelyne torch, plasma torch, grindier with the cutting blade on it, metal skill saw, sawzall, numerous hammers, chisles and pry bars to open it. I figure the thief will be so confused about the proper, quickest tool that they will just give up and leave.

A couple cans on black p
My gun safe is bolted down in my garage. If a thief finds it he will have to choose between the oxy acetelyne torch, plasma torch, grindier with the cutting blade on it, metal skill saw, sawzall, numerous hammers, chisles and pry bars to open it. I figure the thief will be so confused about the proper, quickest tool that they will just give up and leave.
Do you think a couple cans of black powder stored in the door with a warning "HIGH EXPLOSIVE/ Disarm before opening " might be a deterrent?

a cordless skil saw with a basic carbide blade will go through most safe and gun cabinets as fast as a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. the steel is just not thick enough.

convert a soda machine into a gun safe. have you ever seen anyone successfully break into one? no. and it is camouflaged to look like a soda machine.

A couple years ago I bought a "Tactical American" from Sportsman's Steel Safes. It has a 3/16" body, two layers of concrete fire board, a Palusol seal, a stepped door, and it weighs 2150 lbs. It is 72x50x33 and the door fits so tight that air whooshes out when you close it. I think it has a two hour fire rating.

I no longer have this safe because when I sold the house, the new buyers bought the safe from us. I didn't want to move it anyway. The driveway of that place is 60' long and 45' of that has a 15 degree slope.

We are in our new house now and I should have my new safe this month. It's about a six month wait for it to be built. I bought the same thing except I made it 60" wide this time. I thought about going to a 1/4" outer shell and then adding a 10 gauge stainless liner, but that was a lot more expensive for only a little more practical protection. This new safe should weigh about 2500 lbs. It cost around $8k and it will be another $1k for delivery.

They say a fire is five times more likely than a theft attempt. Also, smoke can severely damage firearms. That is why that Palusol seal and a tight fitting door are important. A tight fitting door also makes it pry proof.

If they damage to lock then four 1" diameter steel relockers will engage and permanently lock the door. They could cut through the 3/16" outer wall with a cutting torch, but they would need to bring their own and know how to use it. They could grab my 7" grinder and cut through, but that would take a lot of time.

A dedicated professional thief can break into just about anything, but that's not the kind of thief that's likely to show up at my house.

All that said, there is value to any firearm security container. They all will keep guns out of the hands of curious kids and keep an honest person honest.

Back