Harbor Freight Gun Safe

About 18 years ago 4 teens broke into my house, I worked nights. My inexpensive gun safe sitting against the wall in my bedroom. On top of safe, about 6-7 pricey WW1 Springfield bayonets, and a couple M16 bayonets. in closet, NIB CMP Remington .22 rifle, and a Paris Dunn WW2 Springfield '03 training rifle - a wood dummy rifle. As they did this at about 2 am, parked their car in my neighbors (who happens to have insomnia) driveway, she knew something was up, called me at work, and called 911. We lived at the dead end of a county road, by the time I got there, there were 5 Deputy Sheriff cars in my drive, flashlights all around my house, and a K9 dog barking for all he was worth.
The teens were 'subdued' when they came out, not too gently either. They had used a shovel to break a window for access, and broke another to try to escape the police. All their "loot" was laying on the floor, in pillow cases. They got the cheap bayonets, some DVD's, pocket change and a 'broken' switch blade laying on my desk. And the Paris Dunn wood training rifle.... Left the new .22 rifle standing there.
Of course, they were interrupted, thanks to my neighbor. They Deputy Sheriff's were beside their selves happy that they got to catch criminals "in the act".
Going through the court system and getting restitution for damages was anything but satisfying.
I'm think if they had the time, between the 4 of them, my safe would have been carried away.

For years my father kept an inexpensive gun rack in a back bedroom with a BB gun, a single-shot cheap .22 and a single-shot 20ga cheapie shotgun from years gone by. His good guns were in a safe that was concealed to the point it would take the average criminal many hours to find...if at all. He figured having a few cheap guns would satisfy the average smash and grab thieves while also explaining the reloading press, etc. Luckily that theory never got tested!

For years my father kept an inexpensive gun rack in a back bedroom with a BB gun, a single-shot cheap .22 and a single-shot 20ga cheapie shotgun from years gone by. His good guns were in a safe that was concealed to the point it would take the average criminal many hours to find...if at all. He figured having a few cheap guns would satisfy the average smash and grab thieves while also explaining the reloading press, etc. Luckily that theory never got tested!
Thought i would add an old tip for those in my situation. I'm an old USAF Vet living rural with a fixed income and well into old age. I shopped around for decent safe but between price and cost of in house delivery i could not get anything close to what i needed. I did find that Lowes offered tracker brand safes with home delivery and a 10% military discount. They deliver the safes with the same 3 wheel drive all terrain forklifts they use on remote construction sites and can get into regular garages easily. They also bring a pallet jack and can put it about anywhere in the garage or flat floor. Other safe providers tack on $200+ to delivery for anything other than curbside. Some won't even leave them in a driveway! The trackers aren't the best but are fairly stout and a sign saying "high explosive stored in walls and doors" give even my closest friends pause.

Many years ago I had a housemate that was manic depressive. I had a few guns and he had an old Remington .22.

l bought a “cheap” gun safe and convinced him to keep it there. He’s still with us and IMHO the safe was was worth every penny and more.

The local sheriffs had to deal with a disturbance at the end of my street tonight. I was happy to see the subject restrained and loaded into an ambulance.

Securing firearms is about much more than protecting them from theft.

John

My Son has two small office type fire safes for his hand guns, and other valuables. He has them on each side of his couch, covered with table cloths. you would not even know they are not end tables. What people do not know you have, they will not break in to get.

I made my own gunsafe from a big electrical cabinet....its about 3ft square by 6 ft high ......I used the frame and welded in heavier sheet to match the frame thickness ,the door I cobbled up to meet the regs of concealed hinges and solid locking bolts (three each side.).....I should have put a flange around the door frame ,but didnt think of it until it was installed...Even so ,it cost me $200 for steel sheet ,and a lot of work ,and had to be installed with a crane (mine).....Its out the back ,as it was too heavy to move further inside....

On a side note... guns safes offer almost no protection from fires. But if you put the safe in a closet and box it (frame) in plus line that with drywall, you’ll have a safe which will give you fairly good protection against fire damage. Plus, makes it hard for crooks carrying your safe away.

Here is a simple guide on the finer points of gun "safes". Personally I have several used commercial TL rated safes with true two hour fire ratings. Cheap from department stores shutting down. Weigh more than my Bridgeport. But easier to move.

Do you have Tractor supply up there? They have some relatively inexpensive fire rated safes for $750 -$1500 depending on size and fire rating. Might be worth looking at if you wanted something nicer without the $2k+ price tag

I'd check with your local locksmith shop that sells safes. They often have used safes that are very inexpensive.

For example: This guy is local to me a a former Navy vet. http://cameronsafe.com/sales.php
And he moves and delivers safes also. He always has access to safes from places upgrading or moving. And dirt cheap.

Back