HARBOR FREIGHT HORIZONTAL BAND SAW

I have had mine a couple years now. Dont know how I could live without one now. I improved my fences and clamp with replacements I made. Added an adjustable stop on the clamps so I can adjust to keep the jaws parallel if needed. Also built a small table that I can leave on permanently for vertical operation.

A machinist friend of mine gave me a tip on the blade angle adjustment. Clamp lightly with small vice grips two six inch metal rules on the blade standing straight up a distance apart. With a 90 degree triangle off the bed you can much more easily see if the blade is adjusted true. Such a simple tip that made an huge difference in my saw after I dialed it in. I had been trying to get it to cut straight with little luck before, and in less than 10 minutes it was better than it ever was. A better blade is helpful too. he recommended a 10-14 name brand.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 18
Davek181, I've recently seen a mod where a guy made a removable / modular vertical table attachment that just clamps into the main jaws. It's made of ~ 10" of 2x2 square tube with another 12" or so T-welded to the first peice and then the table surface set on top. As I recall it's got a miter slot too. If I can find it I'll post an image. I like what you did with the aluminum plate but personally speaking I would have concerns with bumping into that edge a lot, even if dulled and rounded. I've also felt that bolting a table (the stock table included) to the roller assembly just increases the change of the blade getting out of square a lot easier.

I don't use it vertically often, mainly just quick cuts. I got tired of having to bolt the table on then remove it again to go horizontal so I shaped a table to clear everything in horizontal mode and still give me a small table in vertical mode. I have not bumped into it even in my normal clumsy inattentive mode. It pops off with only two screws in a sec if it gets in the way.

That's the main detractor for me, ...those two little screws. It's kind of "afterthought engineering" for how it works... but it does work. I've just not used it much because I also have a regular vertical bandsaw which is much more stable and wider. The stock vertical attachment for the 4x6 just isn't up to task for larger stuff but that mod I mentioned seems to work a lot better for heavier use. When I saw it, it's one of those "why didn't I think of that" mods.

Last edited:
Back