Harbor Freight Mini Mill Motor Swap

Mr.Ven

Registered
Registered
Well, I’m new to this forum and to machining, so please try to be understanding when I ask stupid questions... here’s the first one. I just bought an HF mini mill (model 44991) and just happen to have a Shop Fox mortising machine that I no loner use/need. It has a 3/4 hp, 8 amp, 3450 rpm motor that I’d like to put on the mini mill. Whattaya think? Am I crazy, or can this work?

Welcome to the family.

The first thing about this site is no one has ever asked a stupid question since day one.

Second thing, you are among kindred spirits, modifying our machines is what we do.

All we ask is that you share your projects with us. Fair enough?

Welcome, Mr.Ven i've often found myself wanting and doing just that, putting bigger motor in hobby machines, and my experience is, if you can find direct replacement or very little modification and cheap do it, but is not worth it spending more than few hours in modifications, you'll better off buying a decent sized industrial machine and restoring it.

The only concern would be the speed- is it faster than the original? It might tear up your endmills faster if you do a lot of steel parts
Mark
ps also I believe you need a dc motor if the mill has a speed control

Last edited:
Welcome to the family.

The first thing about this site is no one has ever asked a stupid question since day one.

Second thing, you are among kindred spirits, modifying our machines is what we do.

All we ask is that you share your projects with us. Fair enough?

Thanks, Randy... and I’ll be happy to share!

Hi and welcome. Is the HF mill working as it is? Anything is possible, but why? Maybe like putting a 427 in a VW Beetle. If it isn’t broken don’t fix it. Could be a good lesson in “why” for the next time. Or, it could be screaming little HF mill! That motor on the HF mill is intergraded into the mill and made to work with the vari speed control and is 4/5hp. Does not look like an easy swap. What is wrong with it the way it is?...Dave

Last edited:
I think over the years I have seen a few threads where guys converted them to belt drive and put bigger motors on them . I have no idea how well it worked out though . Mine at least has plenty of motor for the gear train it has so if i were going to try and increase power that's the route i would likely try . I really suspect though that they are not rigid enough to cut much more than they will handle in stock form .

Whoo. The motor on your hf is rated at 2500rpm. The other motor is a 1000 rpm faster. you may end up eating alot of end mills. I suppose that you could use the mill for wood, but then I don't know how the gears hold up. I don't know if any one has done this with a mini mill, but maybe you could try a tread mill motor. That way you could get variable speed.

Hi and welcome. Is the HF mill working as it is? Anything is possible, but why? Maybe like putting a 427 in a VW Beetle. If it isn’t broken don’t fix it. Could be a good lesson in “why” for the next time. Or, it could be screaming little HF mill! That motor on the HF mill is intergraded into the mill and made to work with the vari speed control and is 4/5hp. Does not look like an easy swap. What is wrong with it the way it is?...Dave

Dave, sometimes it is just about the project.

Back