Harbor Freight Mini-mill X2 Cnc Conversion, Not A Kit.

chevytrucking

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, I don't post much here, usually just read a lot, but here's part one of a new project I've just started.
A short intro and table disassembly. Skip right to the video or read my boring explanation of why I'm doing this below. I'll post new content as I complete it, but this is a spare time project, so don't get in a hurry.

Here's a little background on my interest in CNC. I went to college right out of high school to become a mechanical engineer, but after a couple years of school, I was extremely bored and restless. Got the brilliant idea to quit college and start a roofing business with a friend, which didn't end so well.

Joined the Marine Corps and worked avionics on F18 Hornets. After the military, started college for the second time, in the Electronics Tech program. I became aware of CNC milling in the early 90's while our college class took a tour of a local business that was converting old equipment into modern looking CNC machines bound for factory duty.

I was getting pretty good at computer programming and electronics so I built a couple stepper motor controllers and wrote some code to do basic x and y movements. I even made a cnc Etch-a-Sketch that worked pretty good! Made a crude cnc foam cutting machine for making foam cored R/C airplane parts too.

Then, along came marriage, kids, better job, more school, etc. All those cnc thoughts faded and technology advanced well past what I knew. A few years ago, I bought a Carvewright cnc wood router and it sort of renewed my interest in cnc for a while, but it is pretty limited as to what you can do with it. Everything is proprietary and every little option costs more and more money.

But lately, I've started a new hobby of knife making, all those cnc thoughts have been creeping back in. Someday, I like to get into some 3d machined pocket knife scales or even some 3d machined fixed blade scales. Pistol grips? I like working on old cars and hot rods, so I've got some ideas for that arena too.

Now, I just hope I can figure all this stuff out again!

Here's part 2 of the project. I'm making stop blocks or ball nut holders, if that doesn't make sense you're not alone. I've got a few comments from guys that say they're not sure what I'm talking about. It'll all make sense eventually.

Part 3. Machining ball screws. This was a little tough for me/my lathe. I don't think my little lathe is really stiff enough for this job, but, nonetheless, I got the Y screw finished. The X screw will just be a repeat, so I don't show it in the video. I'm sure you machinist out there will find a bunch of problems with my technique, but what do you expect from a YouTube machinist?

Having just recently installed ball screws for the first time, I can say I know exactly what you're talking about when you say "ball nut holders". It was all gibberish when I first read the instructions though. :)

I'm learning a lot of new stuff with this project, terminology being one. A lot of my non-machinist, non-tech friends just giggle when I say "ball nut holders". :grin big:

Part 4. Still working on the Y axis, this time its a bearing block for the ball screw. And, my first "screw" up, but not too bad. I hope you guys don't mind these shorter videos because it sure is a lot easier for me to keep up with and edit in smaller chunks. If I wait until I get several hours of video recorded and then try to condense it into 30 min. or less, its a ton of work and takes forever to upload. I think keeping them less than 10 minutes each and focusing on one part at a time is best for my sanity.

Part 5 of this project, making the y axis motor mounting plate.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention, if you're interested in cnc machining do not underestimate learning 3d modeling software. I'm pretty good with 2d cad and learning 3d has been harder than I predicted. I'm using Fusion 360 and I do recommend it for several reasons. Drawing simple brackets and fixtures seem easy enough, but when I started trying to design a folder with it I hit a wall. Took me a long time to get to this, and it's still not done. I think converting a machine is a lot easier than learning the software!

Back