Harbor Freight Qctp, Is It Any Good?

Mog

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to decide which QCTP to go with for the Grizzly 7x14 I plan on getting in December. Harbor freight has much cheaper shipping, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the QCTP http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-tool-post-set-for-mini-lathe-42806.html It looks as though the tool uses a socket head cap screw in the back to tighten the tool to the post instead of the regular setup like little machine shop has. Anyone have this who is happy with it? If so, why? Any other alternatives? I'm not keen on shimming my tools all the time.

Thanks!

A primary advantage of a QCTP is the ability to change tools easily. Most users of a QCTP soon acquire additional tool holders to take advantage of the capability. The HF tool holders are not standard and it may be difficult and costly to obtain extras. It looks like this may be the same QCTP that Grizzly sells as T10167. If so, they offer replacement tool holders at $18 ea. You could, of course, make your own.

Bob

You might want to look at Shars or Little Machine Shop before you buy.

Ebay sellers also offer many choices of QCTP sets for mini lathes under 100 bucks.

I'm trying to decide which QCTP to go with for the Grizzly 7x14 I plan on getting in December. Harbor freight has much cheaper shipping, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the QCTP http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-tool-post-set-for-mini-lathe-42806.html It looks as though the tool uses a socket head cap screw in the back to tighten the tool to the post instead of the regular setup like little machine shop has. Anyone have this who is happy with it? If so, why? Any other alternatives? I'm not keen on shimming my tools all the time.

Thanks!
Which ever set or toolpost you end up with, realize you will likely never be happy with a bump style knurler like the one in the HF listing, they barely work okay on larger rigid machine. Build yourself a scissors type knurling tool (plans on net or you tube) and be a much happier camper.

michael

Check out the 0XA at LMS or ebay sellers. I think it is a good fit. LMS gives a good description of it for reference. Enjoy your lathe!
Dave

Thanks for the replies! I agree the bump knurling tools are sub-par.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

LMS Tormach 0XA is worth every Penney. It works great on the 7x series mini lathes. LMS prices are reasonable and they ship very quick. You can also get them on the Tormach web site store.

I like my Tormach wedge style oxa set on my 7x12, perfect size and nice fit and finish. Axa is crazy big. I love the service with LMS. I am a repeat customer for sure. Good luck

I have a A2Z QCTP from LMS if you are interested.
It has very little use on it-bought it several years ago--hasn't been used in about 3 years.

Back