Harbor Freight Surface Grinder

I was looking at that surface grinder at one time, but HF discontinued it 4 years or so ago. I would up buying a used Boyar Schultz and going through it. A surface grinder is one of those tools that you will find more uses for than you think when you buy it. Need a washer a specific thickness? Face some round stock in the lathe, turn it, drill it, part is off too thick and grind it down to size. It mostly just speeds up doing things that I could do other ways, but with more difficulty. Of course, if you are working on hardened metals, which I usually don't, then it's a lot more of a necessity.

I was looking at that surface grinder at one time, but HF discontinued it 4 years or so ago. I would up buying a used Boyar Schultz and going through it. A surface grinder is one of those tools that you will find more uses for than you think when you buy it. Need a washer a specific thickness? Face some round stock in the lathe, turn it, drill it, part is off too thick and grind it down to size. It mostly just speeds up doing things that I could do other ways, but with more difficulty. Of course, if you are working on hardened metals, which I usually don't, then it's a lot more of a necessity.

This is my experience as well.
After owning a couple of SG's which were destroyed in my fire I simply will not be without one.
In fact I already bought one. A B&S 618 Micromaster which presently lives on a trailer at Uglydog's house until I can get it under cover here.
I'll be searching for another larger SG in the future too.

JMH, you got that grinder for a great price. I predict it will wet your whistle about surface grinding and the way you wheel and deal I would be surprised if you didn't get a larger SG in the future.

Back