Harbor Freight Two-Speed Variable Bench Mill/Drill Machine

radian23

Registered
Registered
I found a harbor freight Two-Speed Variable Bench Mill/Drill Machine on craigslist yesterday that was listed for $450 in used but good condition. I called them and was able to talk them down to $375 over the phone. They are a pawn shop and I plan to drop in next Tuesday to see if I can talk them down some more.

I'm planning to use this mill finish some 80% receivers. I may also use it in the future for different odds and ends. I thought this was a good mill to start with being it has the capacity to complete the work I need and it's not very costly. I have also seen kits at little machine shop such as the belt drive conversion kit and air spring conversion kit so it appears this model is fairly well received and supported. I originally wanted the LMS HiTorque 3960 but it is significantly more expensive, I would have to pay freight, and I'm not sure at this point in time how much I will use it when I am done with my project.

I wanted to ask what I should be looking at when I take a look at the mill in person. I would be looking for obvious signs of abuse but other than that I'm not sure what to look for and inspect. Also is the price of $375 reasonable? I noticed that these would go for $450 new on sale at harbor freight but I don't believe they have been that low in price in quite some time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I don't think an AR receiver will fit the work envelope for that mill.
Hold our for an X2 minimill.

Back