HarborFreight 8x12 Lathe

After reading many comments on this and other forums I decided to get an 8 x 14. I have made a few parts but I put most of my time getting it set up. I did take much of it apart and clean it up and stone the gibs but i do not think it needed to be done. the r & r did give me more familiarity with the tool. I have not use a lathe in many years so it is new to me but it has been a better than expected experience.

One of the biggest parts of buying this tool is that I want to do ever mod that everyone has done and then some. I finally settled on getting it to a point I can use it for my needs of making simple parts out of .

What I made
  • Bench - legs were laying around. Made the top out of 2x6s sandwiched between plywood on top and bottom. drawers are all 3/4 plywood and I used 2 sets of 100# full runners on the large drawers 200# capacity
  • Coolant system - bought a mag base and the flexible nozzles (the expensive part) used a 5 gal bucket an old marine bilge pump and a small transformer that was laying around (like a toy or electronic charger) I through in a small piece of oil boom to soak up any stray oil. I screwed the pump to check of steel to keep it aft the bottom and to make sure it sat in place
  • drip pan and back splash - friend gave me a sheet or stainless and i bowered a heavy duty break. it took quite a bit of planning to make the back splash. the lath is bolted down 1/8" out of level so that I need to adjust the table to level the lathe this helped with the coolant running to the tray drain.
  • Lexan shield.- It was already cut the right length i just notched it out to make it a little easier to get close to the chuck. The shield comes in hand when coolant gets on large diameter parts
  • DRO - cheap +-.003 units they work for what i am doing. I have found to be at least to the tolerance advertised. I made very rigid mounts for them with covers.
  • Motor moved- I put the motor on the outside of the machine so that it does not get covered with coolant. this was a little tricky but not too bad
  • Lights- mounted cheap harbor freight Florissant light under hood and then desk lamp to side
  • Other - cheap vise to cut stock with. drawer dividers from amazon and I really like the place to hand the chip brush in close reach

Thank you to everyone that has been contributing to these forums you have been so helpful in so many ways

ps. That is a tail stock v block i am working on now

IMG_2673.jpg IMG_2672.jpg IMG_2671.jpg IMG_2670.JPG IMG_2669.jpg IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2663.jpg IMG_2662.jpg IMG_2660.jpg IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2657.jpg IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2646.JPG

I picked this up a few days ago been after it for about 3 years. It looked a lot better when I first saw it, I know it is going to need a lort of work but it was free. it runs but the drive belt is broken. Even with all the rust every thing moves, Going to take a lot of TLC to bring it back to where it needs to be. I know there not much but I've always wanted one to play with.Lathe 1.JPG

I don't see the Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe (44859) on their web site anymore. I wonder if they discontinued it? They just recently discontinued their round column mill.

I don't see the Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe (44859) on their web site anymore. I wonder if they discontinued it? They just recently discontinued their round column mill.
This is news to me, yet I'm not surprise. Both Grizzly and Little Machine Shop came out with an 8" lathe. They both have variable speed motors which can spoil you real quick. I have a Lathemaster 8x14. If I ever need to replace the motor, it will be a brushless DC.

Back