Hard Core Recycling - making blocks for machining

Would you use blocks manufactured from recycled plastic for your projects?

• Yes, if they cost the same as non-recycled plastic

• Yes, but only if they are 10% cheaper than non-recycled plastic

• Yes, but only if they are 20% cheaper than non-recycled plastic

• Yes, but only if they are 30% cheaper than non-recycled plastic

• Yes, it's important to help the environment

• Definitely NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Plastiblocks

Registered
Registered
Machining operations often generate some plastic waste. Companies often collect this waste and try to use it by putting a small percentage of waste in with the virgin plastic. The problem is that the rate of generating scrap exceeds the ability to reuse it. Other companies simply write it off and it is a wasted opportunity.
The same injection molding equipment we use to manufacture plastic blocks from virgin pallets that many of you now use, we manufacture 100% pre- or post-consumer plastic and transform it into finished goods with excellent material properties and aesthetics. To read a bit more about what we do, please enjoy this article: Hard core recycling. And to see our equipment, the first video is now available, few more are coming in few days: The Factory of the Future

Transforming Plastic Waste into a Plastic Resource - This video shows a bit of the equipment and why it is really a big deal. I hope you find our cause worth discussing and sharing.

We are looking for ideas what would be worthwhile to turn plastic waste into.
DSC_5288.jpg
PE-regrind1s.jpg

I have no immediate need to make anything from plastic but I was wondering why you can't or don't use a higher percentage of recycled material when mixing with virgin material? Does the recycling process change or degrade the plastic in some way?

I have no immediate need to make anything from plastic but I was wondering why you can't or don't use a higher percentage of recycled material when mixing with virgin material? Does the recycling process change or degrade the plastic in some way?
Many molding processes degrade plastics hence only 5% to 20% regrind (recycled) plastic is typically used.
We are able to and are starting to make blocks from 100% recycled plastic.
The issue is finding a reliable source of enough waste plastic to offer this.
We are currently establishing a network of contacts to enable us to to offer a wider range of recycled blocks.

Any idea why I cannot view any of your videos? When I click them it just says "error occurred, please try again later".
-steve

Trying to understand why you are advertising here... Are you promoting your technology, looking for outlets for your potential products (seems to be the case) or are you selling plastic blocks and the products produced by your equipment? The reason I got interested in the mini mills is because I want to make filters for Koi ponds. HDPE I think is the plastic for my application. The case for these filters would be HDPE sheets at .5" thick but I also need to machine several parts out of blocks approximately 5"x5"x5".

Trying to understand why you are advertising here... Are you promoting your technology, looking for outlets for your potential products (seems to be the case) or are you selling plastic blocks and the products produced by your equipment? The reason I got interested in the mini mills is because I want to make filters for Koi ponds. HDPE I think is the plastic for my application. The case for these filters would be HDPE sheets at .5" thick but I also need to machine several parts out of blocks approximately 5"x5"x5".

It is a very long story and probably somewhat confusing. In the short of it, 8-9 years ago we started to develop injection molding and extruders that normal people can afford without a huge capital investment. Then about 2-3 years ago we felt that the equipment was close to be commercially useful, but we didn’t want to release any systems without extensive testing to make sure it is robust and most of the bugs are worked out. So we looked around to try and figure out what people need. We decided to produce machine grade plastic blocks, rods and sheet. Our technology works very differently than the conventional molding, our products have very low to no stress which makes them easier to machine.
So that’s how Plasti-Block brand was created. It meant to be just something temporary, however all our blocks, rods and sheet received such a positive feedback that we decided to continue this brand. And now in addition to stock items we also do custom molding mostly for people / companies that were rejected by conventional injection molding companies.
To answer your question about 5” x 5” x 5” - this size isn’t our stock item, however if you need quantities, we will create mold for that size at our cost. Usually we require 150 lbs order, but it can be spread over a long period of time. If you give me more details on your quantities, timing etc, I am sure we will be able to help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I would have no problem using recycled plastic blocks if their characteristics met the requirements of the part that I am working on... which being hobby project would not be all that strict. I.e. will it hold together and be strong enough for my application when it is done?

Price would definitely be a factor for me... but availability is also very important. I would recommend developing a list of sizes that you usually have in stock and associated prices. If I could get such and such sized block or sheet for x dollars with reasonable shipping I could definitely see doing business with you.

I can not foresee any projects in my future that would need 150lbs of plastic so that would definitely be a non-starter. Many manufactures won't do small orders due to logistical reasons... which is perfectly understandable. I am a hobby machinist, most of my project are one-off. It kind of sounds like you are looking for parts manufactures that produce the same part over and over again and need a constant supply of your product (these are the customers I would be looking for if I were you at least). I know I am not one of those customers and I do not believe most of the members on this board are either.

P.S. I don't know much about plastics but I do know there are several different types of plastic. Which type(s) of plastic(s) are you recycling with your system?

Last edited:
Back