[How-To] Hardige lathe choice

Oldseabee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know that the Hardige lathe is capable of great accuracy. That being said I have never used one. I'm used to using older model lathes. The one I'm looking at has no tailstock. I'm enclosing 3 pictures of the lathe. Looks to be in nice condition. But no 3 or 4 jaw chuck and no tailstock bother me. Asking price is 1,500.

Attachments

• received_828026971800881.jpeg
    received_828026971800881.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 46
  • received_511352364256882.jpeg
    received_511352364256882.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 48
  • received_903830370603807.jpeg
    received_903830370603807.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 46
I'm not familiar with Hardinge but it also looks like there's something missing from the carriage.

It depends on what you want the lathe for. That is a pretty specialized machine. If it suits your application, then go for it. If you are looking for a general purpose machine - I'd recommend you not. I think that is sometimes referred to as a second operation machine - great for finishing off small fastners or fittings. The previous owner probably set it up for specific operations. If that doesn't fit your application, then it is just a cool piece of metal sitting in your shop that would get very little use (not a bad thing, I have several of those).

It depends on what you want the lathe for. That is a pretty specialized machine. If it suits your application, then go for it. If you are looking for a general purpose machine - I'd recommend you not. I think that is sometimes referred to as a second operation machine - great for finishing off small fastners or fittings. The previous owner probably set it up for specific operations. If that doesn't fit your application, then it is just a cool piece of metal sitting in your shop that would get very little use (not a bad thing, I have several of those).
Thanks, that's exactly what I thought too. But I wanted an honest opinion. I'll pass on this one.

I have run Hardinge lathes and for a home shop I would stay away from this one .
First no tail stock, no steady rest no way to thread and if I remember right the center line is .625 over the turret plate top where all the tools sit. And looks like lathe is missing parts. It’s been about 30 years since I ran one but the machine is more of a second operation lathe.

Maybe not this exact same model but Mr Pete has a video on a Hardinge "Speed Lathe".

This is not a second operation lathe. You will notice it t doesn’t have a leadscrew. I think it’s called a hlv-h something. Threading is done by speed controller where tailstock should be. The part missing on the carriage is the motor that drives the carriage via the controller near tailstock. It is a very very precise lathe but missing some key expensive parts.

Last edited:
This is not a second operation lathe. You will notice it t doesn’t have a leadscrew. I think it’s called a hlv-h something. Threading is done by speed controller where tailstock should be. The part missing on the carriage is the motor that drives the carriage via the controller near tailstock. It is a very very precise lathe but missing some key expensive parts.

The HLV-H is the one to get. They are generally bringing $8-10k.

1669669178136.png

Yeah I see them here and there at auctions. One I saw last year looked brand new immaculate. Came with boards of collets and tooling holders and accessories. I think it went for 5k. Out of a hobbiest eye because of weight and maybe knowledge of machine. Business wouldn’t take the chance and not cnc. So they usually go for scrap prices around here unless someone knows what they’re looking at and want it.

Back