Hardinge DSM 59 torque issues

Xnerd

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I was posting too much so I disappeared for a few months.

I just got a dsm 59 and bought an American Rotory Phase Converter 5 HP and wired it all up.
I have noted that I am getting real poor torque at mid-range speeds. I get ok torque at slow(ish)
Speeds and as I approach top speeds all of a sudden it will like kick into high speed with normal torque.

I have a few sticky contactors and need to go through all of them.

I know next to nothing about the controls and if any electrical changes occur that would result in losing torque.
Also the controls get stuck at the very top and bottom speeds and I'm forced to manually trip the contactor to get it working again.

Any insight to this issue? These issues?

Thanks

Jeff

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Not sure , Ulma , should chime in. Think the contactor may be the problem , have you cked your voltage on the leads , the RPC may need an additional capacitor , or one may be bad. Hardinage LATHES use lots of electrics to get there machines to do what they want. Like the monarchs with the power tubes , they either work well or cause pita situations.

Not sure , Ulma , should chime in. Think the contactor may be the problem , have you cked your voltage on the leads , the RPC may need an additional capacitor , or one may be bad. Hardinage LATHES use lots of electrics to get there machines to do what they want. Like the monarchs with the power tubes , they either work well or cause pita situations.

I'm getting 240 240 255 out,
I'll check under load can I check the load voltage at power entry rather than opening the converter up?
There is only 5 feet 10 awg between the two points. I doubt that will make any difference. Let me know.
As a note, the sales guy at American rotary said that the 5 HP unit that I bought should be perfectly fine as long as the combined HP off all possible running motors under 3hp (which is not even close). I guess that multiple motors behave differently than one single load source.

I can stop the spindle with my hand
Another thing I tried was to run the pump while turning and the additional load made zero difference

Last edited:
Just got a real nice deal on a turret. No I really wanted to start working right. I know I'll get it straightened out sooner or later I just wanted to be sooner LOL I have a question about a Transformer that's down in a metal box by the motor. At least I think it's a Transformer I didn't get a good look at it as I was doing other things. Does anyone know what this is for? The function?

All it needed was a small adjustment to the belt tension

Are complete series appropriate manuals available for these machines? I need to fine the age of this beast while I'm at it

Glad you figured it out, your voltages were in the right range . Seems it's the run capacitors which keep them in line. Don't YA just hate when you figure out the problem and it's a stupid adjustment on a belt . Funny I was going to ask if you cked them but you got her working great now. I love those LATHES have always wanted one but never have the funds when one comes up. There's one near me that's ancient on a wood bench with all the pulleys and clutches are visable. Actually cheap but I'd need to go into new York city to pick it up almost in the city anyways. He's got a Rockford mill with it . Nice mill for the money really. Good luck with your lathe, I ran lots of parts on big even giant turret LATHES at one point in my apprenticeship two years was enough. Only needed a few months but I liked the job , just something about taking a raw piece of metal and in a few minutes pop out a brand new item. I liked them for cutting long threaded rods with acme or regular 60 degree. We could make a vise rod with all the under cuts or bosses in minutes. On a regular lathe it would take an hour.
The little transformer is more likely to get a lower voltage for a solenoid or lights or motor for a power feed option . Hard to tell without cking out put or tracing wires.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't really get down and trace anything right now, recovering from surgery is slower than I thought it would be.
I'm making tool holders for a turret that I just bought. Perfect shape and only 300 bucks

I just wish I had some drawings to go off of as I have no real experience with this machine at all

Back