Hardinge Hlv (early Model - Ca 1950 - S/n 102) Restoration

That model is sought after , the qcgb isn't on the others from what I've seen. The toolroom model usually commands bigger prices. I'd like to pickup one of there turret LATHES with the cross slide , and an extra tailstock. Your lathe should turnout to be super accurate , the Hardinage lathe is top shelf in my opinion, there's a very very old one for sale in New York with a wooden table top with the motor belts and clutch system open with very little protection .
Keep up the good work it's looking great , you will be happy with it . Good luck really nice machines , I'm so envious , but I'm happy with the machines I own.

JPH I hope you don't mind that I bring our PM conversation into my HLV thread, but I figure more eyes the better (also for some future person looking for information).

That said:
"
Thanks for the reply.

I am helping the owner of serial number HLV 106 reassemble his spindle/head. He had taken it apart until he could not remove the left bearing. By left I mean farther away from the chuck, farther away from the tail stock.

On a quick look, it seems to me that the head casting is in two parts, and the left bearing was installed before the two halves were joined (some how) and mated with the way. Some old pictures on the internet seem to lead me to think this. The owner of 106 does not, yet, want to split the head.

He had it apart for sometime. While he was mulling over what to do, he went on to another project. I came along and offered to reassemble the machine and then to do a careful analysis of what is causing the rings on a face cut.

He is almost done with his other project and we will be getting back to the HLV 106.

I suggested to the owner of 106 that we ought to take pictures and make measurements of each part as we reassemble the spindle.

Please keep in touch, especially if you decide to post elsewhere, let me know where you are going.
JPH
"

Here's a really quick (and crappy too!) annotated thing that summarizes the separation of concerns on the lathe:

QCGB-ANNOTATED.png

The handwheel (and 5C collet tightener) all come off the left side of the QCGB (quick change gearbox). The QCGB comes off the left side after a bunch of fiddling as mentioned previously.

Headstock-Rear-Annotated.png

As usual, any questions you might have that I can answer reasonably, I'll do my best.

Mike

Last edited:
That model is sought after , the qcgb isn't on the others from what I've seen. The toolroom model usually commands bigger prices. I'd like to pickup one of there turret LATHES with the cross slide , and an extra tailstock. Your lathe should turnout to be super accurate , the Hardinage lathe is top shelf in my opinion, there's a very very old one for sale in New York with a wooden table top with the motor belts and clutch system open with very little protection .
Keep up the good work it's looking great , you will be happy with it . Good luck really nice machines , I'm so envious , but I'm happy with the machines I own.

That lathe you describe sounds like an early Cataract, but I'm no Hardinge historian. Something like this?

Cataract.jpg

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

I'll get pictures of 106 and post so you can see what it might look like when you take your spindle out.

Sorry, it will take a while. As I said else where to co1859, the owner of 106 into another project which I think he will finish soon and clear some room so that more pictures of the head from the inside can be taken and posted. The spindle is completely removed at this time.

Your posting about 134 etc requiring return to factory, that is 100 to 133 does not have to be returned, gives hope to 106 that the there is a way to remove the last bearing.

co1859: I don't know how Mike moved our conversation to this thread,
but if similar consolidating trick can be made to our PM it would be appreciated.

Mike, thanks for your explanation, and the pictures of the head of 102, front and back.

106 has the spindle completely removed from the head. The right bearing, just one, is out of the machine as well.

The access panel in the back is removed, so there are three ways to look at the inside of the head. In your annotated picture of the head, the front view, you have marked a heavy vertical red line. When we looked into the head, we can see a ball bearing about co-planer to your red line and perpendicular to the axis of the spindle. The bearing is held into a pocket with a C clip retainer with two small holes at the ends. The C looks like an internal type. It looks like the bearing is in the left half of the head.

By the way, Bob says that there is a screwed on ring that has to be turned off before the spindle comes off.

I just exchanged text with Bob and will look at the head carefully at 5:30 pm today.

In summary:

1. I think the head casting is in two vertical parts mating at about where you have the red line. That will be confirmed this afternoon.

2. I saw one ball bearing on the right side of the spindle. I will confirm if there were two. (I was not there in real-time when it was disassembled.)

3. I read that HLVs were stamped with matching sn in three places. That's low priority right now, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Jung

It turns out that the removal of the left bearing is quite easy. There are two screws holding the head casting to the way. So, after the spindle has been removed, releasing the two screws at the bottom of the head casting allows it to be slid to the right.

The left bearing is accessible. The left bearing is in a pocket in the head casting, and a flat ring screwed to the head casting holds the bearing in the pocket.

Details of what it was like with pictures will be posted on the HLV serial number 106 thread.

Mike,

We were able to remove the left spindle bearing on the HLV sn 106. Pictures have been posted at
the tread:

Hardinge HLV Serial Number 106 ( ca 1950 ) Restoration

Back