Hardinge HLV-H half nut

phrodo

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I'm working with a bunch of high school students on a robotics project. We had and HLV-H toolrom lathe donated and have it up and running. Great stuff!!
Lately, threading is an issue though. No matter what we try we cant get the half nut to engage. It feels like there's some thing blocking it, but I can't see what. At one point last year it did work, so I know there's a way to do this.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

i have not use that kind of lathe before but i know the big lathe where i work won't engage the half nuts if the feed is engages so it doesn't self destruct.

McRIPPPPER is correct- there is probably a lockout in the apron to prevent the half nuts from engaging until the carriage feed is disengaged.

Let us know!

Bernie

You need to really have your wits about you when threading with a Hardinge HLVH. It runs pretty fast,and threads differently from ordinary lathes. A high school kid,or even an instructor can EASILY crash one. And,parts are going to be MEGA expensive,even IF you can get them from Hardinge.

I use my HLVH all the time,but,that threading lever on the headstock can be a bit nerve wracking at times. I recommend that you set the stop rod so that the lathe carriage STOPS before it can be crashed into the chuck before you let anyone try threading on that lathe. You'll be sorry if someone crashes it. I use the stop rod when threading shallow pill box lids and the like. The lathe will stop in exactly the same place every time within .001".

I might be wrong,but I think the half nuts are made of die cast on the HLVH.

Back