Hardinge HLV Serial Number 106 ( ca 1950 ) Restoration

JPH

Registered
Registered
We intend to document the restoration of a Hardinge HLV, serial number 106. RDARLINGTON is the owner of HLV serial number 106 and will be posting here as well.

MMCGIRR gave information that HLV serial numbers began with 100 ca September 1950. The designs for the first machines changed quite often. Hence there is motivation to document the internals of 106 even though MMCGIRR has done a fine job of posting the particulars of serial number 102.

This thread begins in the middle of the restoration: When I came upon the machine, Bob had already disassembled the spindle and was wondering how to remove the left bearing. The left bearing is the spindle bearing far away from the spindle nose.

Near the nose there is one ball bearing, not two, as in some models of the HLV .

We confirmed that the gear box at the left of the head had been separated at one time. This box goes all the way to the top contour of the head, making it appear as the head casting might have been made in two parts, on a quick glance.

The left bearing is captive with an internal C snap ring and is in the gear box or on the left side of the head casting proper. It seems the gear box has to come off, in any event.

Photos have been taken and will be posted as soon as I figure out what it takes for this site.

Last edited:
This is a record of the components which were taken off the lathe in order to get to the left bearing.

The taper unit was removed.

The tail stock was removed.

The power feed was removed. There is a bolt inside of the control box that holds the box to the way. It was removed. The wires had been color coded and numbered. They were cut. The lead screw rides in the control box left wall, in a needle bearing. The bearing is stiff with encrusted something. It needs cleaning at least, perhaps replacement.

We took off the cross. The needle bearing that guides the screw was caked with gunk. It needs to be cleaned or replaced.

So far, the order of removal is not inter-dependent. The object of the work so far was to be able to disengage the lead screw and the lower
rod that extends from left to right a few inches below the lead screw.

Last edited:
It turns out that the removal of the left bearing is quite easy. There are two screws holding the head casting to the way. So, after the spindle has been removed, releasing the two screws at the bottom of the head casting allows it to be slid to the right.

The left bearing is then accessible. The left bearing is in a pocket in the head casting, and a flat ring screwed to the head casting holds the bearing in the pocket.

RDARLINGTON an I have to confirm it, but it might be that the bearing was installed incorrectly. That is, the thrust side of the bearing may have been on the wrong side. We marked the bearing before it was removed, so, we will look at the bearing installation directions to make sure that it had been installed correctly.

If in fact the bearing was installed flipped, that would explain why Bob measured noticeable axial play of the spindle.

Details of what it was like with pictures will be posted in the morning, now that an album was created for me.

Bob:

I read that the sided marked "Thrust" are supposed to face away from each other, not face each other. So, that side of the bearing ought to be on the out side of the head casting.

We marked the left bearing before it was removed from the head. What does it show. Was the left bearing face marked "Thrust" on the inside or outside of the head casting?

Jung

Both bearings came out with the "THRUST HERE" markings facing toward each other. ONE bearing in front (right), one in the rear (left).

-Bob

Bob:

I read that the sided marked "Thrust" are supposed to face away from each other, not face each other. So, that side of the bearing ought to be on the out side of the head casting.

We marked the left bearing before it was removed from the head. What does it show. Was the left bearing face marked "Thrust" on the inside or outside of the head casting?

Jung

Yesterday, the administrators of Hobby-Machinist opened an album to be used with this thread.

This is the first picture for me to test the upload procedure. First, for my camera, I had to rescale (resize) the picture using GIMP. I chose 20% of the original size, just as an experiment.

Then, I saved the resized picture from GIMP as a .jpg, with 95% parameter.

I went to the album and followed the upload procedure and got the picture into the album.

View media item 95717
The end of the rule shows the location of the left spindle bearing.

While editing, when the button with the camera is pressed, "Your Photos" pops up. I clicked on the photo of interest, and a reference to the picture was inserted into the text that I was editing. My guess is that when I post this message, viewing the post will show the picture.

This ends the little test of how I got the picture up from my camera, to my computer, to the album, to be included into the text of a posting.

Last edited:
Bob,

On this site, only the administrator can delete a picture.

I will see if I can enable RDARLINGTON to add pictures to the album.

I just enabled RDARLINGTON to add to the album named "HLV, serial number 106". You reach it by clicking on 'Photos' at the very top of the page, then clicking other buttons to find the album with the desired name.

Please confirm that you can add pictures.

I would suggest trying to upload one picture before uploading a bunch, since there are several parameters between your camera and what finally shows in the post.

Now that I know I can post pictures as well as a narrative, I will get to the meat of this thread with pictures and words. But I have to do my daily exercise before.

I believe I was able to add a photo to the album, however after submitting, I can no longer see it. I saw a message about it requiring admin approval.

And here's a picture of the spindle coming out of #106 showing the orientation of the bearing, including the "THRUST HERE" marking. This may or may not be correct, however I do believe it is installed the right way around.

View media item 95718

Back