Hardinge HLV Serial Number 106 ( ca 1950 ) Restoration

Great, Bob.

Two more checks, before getting going.

1. Technically, can I use your picture in a post of mine.

2. Technically, can you use pictures that I upload to the album. These are pre-flight tests, as silly as they might seem.

JPH

Here is a picture of the head from the back.

View media item 95720
The large rectangle is an access port.

Near A notice that the head had been moved by the previous owner and in this picture is a bit more away from the tail than the contours indicate where the original location might have been.

Near B there is a bolt that holds the head to the way.

There is also a bolt near D, but it is not visible in this picture.

Below the letter C, near the hole, there is a serial number 106. A better picture will be posted later.

Also, near C, inside of the head, of course, is the location of the left bearing.

Removal of two bolts near B and D allows the head to slide toward the tail. Because of the over paint, a tap with a rubber mallet was necessary to break the head free.

After separating the head a bit more, the keeper for the bearing is visible. Removing the retaining screws reveals a thin seal, and the bearing is easily removed, without any special tools.

View media item 95723

RDARLINGTON reports:

The spindle bearings are 55mm x 90mm x 18mm (ID, OD, and thickness). They are ball bearings, with "Thrust" written on one side of each. This could very well be specific for serial number 106. There were many design changes in the early models.

According to his communications with Hardinge experts, the recommended lubrication for the spindle bearing is Kluber NBU15.

This for the record.

This is an empty post.

Last edited:
Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Last edited:
Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Last edited:
Actually, that was me editing your posts, not Nelson. Sorry for the confusion. I should have identified myself.

Thanks for editing and or correcting. Always appreciate it.

Back