[4]

Hardinge HLV workover

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Picked up an older HLV on auction that apparently has been sitting for Years in storage at a government research center. Valleyboy101 met me last week and we looked it over before bidding, decided it looked pretty good.
Unloading it at home
IMG_1053.jpg

It has a few issues, it sat so long the belts had deformed around the pulleys, causing them to thump and shake the machine. The grease in the threading gears had turned to hard varnish, had to tear the end of the headstock pretty much totally apart to get them out and clean. Suspect the carriage got bumped in the warehouse and damaged the pinion which mates to the rack for carriage travel, but the rack is fine?.
When I had it far enough apart to address these things figured we may as well continue and dismantle the rest and paint.
There's a lot of parts in a lathe.

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg IMG_1072.jpg IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1077.jpg

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Wow I can't wait to watch this restore! What a dream machine when you have it done!

I look forward to your posts

Bernie

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
A lot of parts is right! The plasma table looked like too good a spot to leave empty, and I see it didn't - a great place to lay out the parts and keep them clean and organized.
Looks good and it will only get better from now on,
Michael

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hope I can remember where all the parts go and in what order. A flat surface that size in my shop never stays empty Im afraid.
Not really a restore just a cleanup and repair. The bed and cross slide look real good so no grinding and scraping that would be well beyond my capabilities.

Greg

Senna

Deceased
Rest In Peace
Very VERY cool!

I too look forward to seeing this thing be reborn before my eyes.

I will throw out the obligatory YOU SUCK though!:))

- - - Updated - - -

Hope I can remember where all the parts go and in what order. A flat surface that size in my shop never stays empty Im afraid.
Not really a restore just a cleanup and repair. The bed and cross slide look real good so no grinding and scraping that would be well beyond my capabilities.

Greg
The old adage holds true that any surface even close to horizontal in a shop will quickly become filled beyond capacity. At least it does in my workspaces.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Have all the painted parts cleaned up and primed, ready to skirt some paint on the this aft.

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice and shiny now. Looks like the auto supply matched the colour pretty close.

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1085.jpg

stevecmo

Active User
Registered
Wow, you don't mess around! That's gonna look Purdy:man::man:

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Spent the whole afternoon figuring out the combination the threading transmission had to go together to get all the pieces to clear each other as they slid in.

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Starting to look more like a lathe. Ordered new belts, they arrived today so the spindle went back in. Will hopefully get power to it tomorrow and spin it up.

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
I love that shine - it looks like new old stock!
Michael

ARM

Active User
Registered
Wow Oh Wow !!!
Can only admire U Guys ingenuity
Still trying to pluck up enough courage to start refurb work my Chipmaster Lathe
Needs just as much work, if not more
Except U Guys have the know-how
Keep the pics roling
aRM

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The new belts helped a lot but needed to align the motor and variable speed drive to really smooth it out. You'd wonder how they would ever have gotten shifted. The new belts aren't Good Year like the originals, these are made in Mexico and don't run perfectly true.
Anyway, she turned its first part. An arbour to hold the gear cutter to make the gear to repair itself. Sure leaves a nice finish and no runout on the collet.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
That is a nice looking tool post - not really good enough for the lathe - it would be more suitable on my Cromwell - just joking.
Michael

drs23

Active User
Registered
Yep, it's official now: :yousuck: and I'm:greenwithenvy: . :biggrin:

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The gear that meshes with the rack to move the carriage was damaged.
Made a new one.

IMG_1092.jpg

Machined the old one off.

IMG_1094.jpg

Shrunk the new one on with 1 1/2 thou interference.

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg IMG_1094.jpg IMG_1095.jpg

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Finished assembling it today.

IMG_1097.jpg

Its unnervingly quiet after running gear head lathes. Was concerned that my cut gear might not be perfectly formed, causing a pattern in the turned surface but all seams to be good.

IMG_1099.jpg

Im getting about 1/2 thou taper in 8 inches guess the tailstock needs tweaking. Overall think its going to be a good machine.
Thanks for watching
Greg

IMG_1095.jpg IMG_1097.jpg IMG_1099.jpg

drs23

Active User
Registered
Looks like a great job on fine piece of machinery. I'm sure you'll reap years of excellent service fro that lathe.

Great job!

valleyboy101

Active User
Registered
Half a thou over 8" and a beautiful finish is mighty fine for a first test - It will be a great machine.
Michael

samthedog

Active User
Registered
That's a great restore. The Hardinge is one of my all time dream lathes. I think it's hard to beat the curves of a HLV, a Rivett 1020s or a humble Colchester Chipmaster.

Paul.

[6]
[5] [7]